XC40 2.0 T5. Possible remapping info sought.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

I hope you will all forgive a question from a non-volvo owner (as of yet).
The XC40 2.0 T5 2019/2020 is one of two cars I have shortlisted as a replacement for my present car, a BMW. I hope to get something in the next 3 months as long as colour/interior/miles/price etc all fall into place.
In the past I have had both my Subaru and Mitsubishi Lancer remapped to my requirements. Both done on a dyno, not a quick fix map, and both were excellent, even to the point that after the remap they were more economical as air/fuel ratio was adjusted to a sensible level.
The T5 appears to have a solid 2.0 engine, some 245bhp in standard form and I would like to know what the prospects are for a well informed dyno remap from a reputable tuner ? Not after brute power, just a sensible freeing of what the engine is capable of and a more responsive 40 to 70 mph blast.
I have read about Polestar but it does not really match what I would like.
Any comments or ideas/info/experiences etc would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brian.

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

I have the 2020 T5 2.0 (all petrol) XC40 and when I purchased ordered the car I asked about the polestar upgrade. The advice was to try the car first then if I wanted it upgraded to come bac in the first few months and they would do the upgrade at the same price. Turned out to be good advice as I quickly found I did not need it. In comfort its nice to drive normally but if you put your foot down it shifts. In Dynamic it is more responsive to the accelerator and will easily do the 0-60 figures in about 6 secs for the car. On the motor way / when overtaking the 40-70 is very impressive no matter the mode.
So in short my advice would be try it out in the different modes before getting remapped.
The long answer is - search the forum for "T5" & "polestar" and you will find loads of feedback from people that have/have not had it done about 2 years ago. I know at least one tried it and had it removed.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
bba

Post by bba »

A different T5 engine but mine had the Polestar done several months after I acquired it and I have no desire to have it removed. Apart from the obvious the most surprising aspect was how much smoother the engine runs under load.

I speculate that with the current high levels of processing power of ECUs with their many sensors together with seemingly ever increasing levels of power output per engine litre means less gains are available to find by mapping of a mechanically unmodified engine beyond things like Polestar.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Leehunt1964

Post by Leehunt1964 »

I had my T5 FE for about a year before I had the Polestar upgrade, I wasn't sure about having it done until I spoke to the dealer, the Polestar upgrade improves all of the driving modes including Comfort mode, the mid range improvement is where I've noticed it most. the Polestar mode replaces the Dynamic mode and really bring the car to life. I was lucky that when I had my upgrade the offer was if I didn't like it I could have it removed and my money back. after driving the car having the upgrade removed was never going to be an option.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

One of the lads at work had the T5 and never felt wanting anymore from it…

I’d live with it for a while and then see what / how it can be improved…