New T5 RECHARGE charging advice !

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
AndyDStone

Post by AndyDStone »

Rockford wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:55 pm Respectfully, I'd disagree. If your aim is to drive in electric mode as much as possible, and you'll plug in between frequent trips, it does make a difference.

It's 4h45 to full on a 10A granny charger vs. 2h45 on a 16A EVSE. Makes quite a difference.

@Rockford / bba
Totally agree. Continue to charge your vehicle whenever you can, as the 24 miles range soon disappears, if using heated seats/screen/mirrors etc.
However, if you get a 7kw charger installed, at least it charges in circa 60% of the time…👍🏻
Kind regards
Andy

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

AndyDStone wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:29 pm
Rockford wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:55 pm Respectfully, I'd disagree. If your aim is to drive in electric mode as much as possible, and you'll plug in between frequent trips, it does make a difference.

It's 4h45 to full on a 10A granny charger vs. 2h45 on a 16A EVSE. Makes quite a difference.

@Rockford / bba
Totally agree. Continue to charge your vehicle whenever you can, as the 24 miles range soon disappears, if using heated seats/screen/mirrors etc.
However, if you get a 7kw charger installed, at least it charges in circa 60% of the time…👍🏻
Using the pre heating/cooling really helps here.

On a cold morning, if you get in your car, turn on the headed screen/seats/steering wheel etc and drive off, the battery soon disappears but if you use the app to warm up the car 20 minutes before you plan to leave, you get into a nice warm (and ice free) car and get so much more out of the battery
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

Does it have to be still plugged in ,to use the app preconditioning warm up, and if so and the charging schedule is finished ,does it reconnect car to charger whilst preconditioning?
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

DADDY KOOL wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:38 pm Does it have to be still plugged in ,to use the app preconditioning warm up, and if so and the charging schedule is finished ,does it reconnect car to charger whilst preconditioning?
I think that as long as its still plugged into the charger then it draws the power from the mains. Thats certainly what happens with the P8 and I think the PHEV is the same
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I can confirm that. I keep the car plugged in when it's at home.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
bba

Post by bba »

DADDY KOOL wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:38 pm Does it have to be still plugged in ,to use the app preconditioning warm up, and if so and the charging schedule is finished ,does it reconnect car to charger whilst preconditioning?
The ‘charger’ on your wall is not a charger, just a glorified mains switch with some safety features in it. The actual battery charger is onboard in the car and this you can manage via the Volvo App. Typically the wall box provides constant mains power to the car which it will also use for preconditioning when that is turned on.

What I have not yet checked is whether it can charge and precondition at the same time.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

You guys are such a great help! Loving the car .
Joss

Post by Joss »

On the subject of recharging does driving in B mode increase the range have tried it but cant see any difference.
2021 P8 recharge Sage Green
Macachia

Post by Macachia »

Is it possible to preheat or precondition whilst on the granny 3 pin charger? I mean without battery usage.
On order 03/2021, delivery September to December 2022
XC-40 Recharge Twin Ultimate in fjord blue
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Macachia wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:49 pm Is it possible to preheat or precondition whilst on the granny 3 pin charger? I mean without battery usage.
It's possible, but I found that anything longer than 5 minutes eats into the battery slightly.
On the 16A charger, it doesn't, so I'm guessing it needs more than 2.3kW to preheat, which is a little surprising.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey