Winter tyres

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Db55

Post by Db55 »

Totally agree about the use of summer tyres in snowy conditions darn right dangerous. I change my 20” Pirelli’s for vredstein winters every year in November. I live in the North east of England in a little place called Consett where it can snow in June. Last year we had 8-10”lying snow and the car never missed a beat , having said that I haven’t tried all seasons which might be a possibility when the winters wear down .
T5 FE, osmium grey

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Many European countries have mandatory winter / 3PMSF tire rules from November till March. Lately, some of these places encounter 20 C days in November and March, when winter tire dry braking distance becomes horrendous, thus making 3PMSF all season tires a safer choice with their better performance in warm conditions.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I live in Croatia (by the seaside, but I tend to drive through snowy mountains during winter time) and last year the Volvo Selekt dealer sold me the XC40 D4 AWD. We agreed to swap the 20" rims with 19" winter tires and those were Pirelli Scorpion Winter.
I've been using GoodYear Ultra Grip X for many years and there were no hills too steep for my smaller car. I was a bit skeptical about Pirelli because they're noisy on highways and are burning a lot of fuel, but I've also used them on some snowy roads without any gliding or troubles. Will probably try some snowy conditions in a few weeks time, hope they'll cope with it.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
fotis

Post by fotis »

Hi I live in Greece and I own an XC40 with 235/50/R19 tyres. I m now going to get winter tyres and was proposed 215/60/R17.
In Volvo website the approved tyres are 235/60/R17. However at the local volvo dealership they told me that 215/60/R17 is also supported.
Anyone can share their opinion or confirm whether 215/60/R17 tyres can be used with XC40 ? Thank you
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I don't have the answer, fotis, but what matters is the rolling diameter of whatever tyre you choose. It must be the same as your original tyre, within two or three percent.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

As greggspies says, the diameter is most important to keep close the same - from 235/50/R19 to 215/60/R17 is approx 6% difference - that sound too much??
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

White

Post by White »

Update on my original post of 4/12/21
As mentioned earlier my car was supplied with Pirelli P Zero tyres which gave me no confidence in wintry conditions. Considering that safety was a major consideration why I bought a Volvo, I realised that although these tyres still had about 6mm of tread left, it was silly to keep them. Earlier replies from the likes of eugene61 and others made me aware that winter or all season tyres was the way to go.
I had Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season tyres fitted (limited choice for 20" rims) and am amazed at the difference. Totally different grip performance, confidence restored and also less road noise. I think that fitting winter tyres and changing twice a year was not worth any benefit they may have over all season.
I appreciate the guidance given by all who responded and gave guidance. Considering current UK wide weather conditions I would thoroughly recommend fitting all season tyres in all areas of the country if the full benefit of Volvo safety is to be achieved.
Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

P Zero's were and still are a top choice as a performance tyre, but maybe not really an all season tyre
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Fitted Michelin cross climate 2’s in November 21, very good in the wet and no problem with them during the hot summer, can’t comment on snow because we’ve had none since I fitted them. Had the car serviced in November 22 having completed 7000 miles on the cross climate tyres the tread depths were 5.7/5.8 that I thought wasn’t too bad as I understand they are around 7.0mm tread depth when new.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my