Map Downloads Data Usage

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

My first year is almost up. I've just had a service and have just ordered a SIM card to replace the Vodafone trial SIM which runs out in a couple of weeks.

But when I was looking at the data usage for that Vodafone sim I was surprised with what I saw

6CF1F476-B33C-4359-9B91-B5DBA4E3A1A0.jpeg

This corresponds with the data used setting in the car itself. So less than 4GB of data in 12 months.

BUT

Whilst I don't stream via Spotify in the car (I use Apple Music in Apple CarPlay) I do have the car set to download and install map updates when available. I see this happening every few weeks so know the car is doing what is asked of it, but I also know the map updates are typically 2GB or more for the UK and as I have seen a number of updates this year I have to assume that the map updates are NOT using the pSIM but are instead are using the built in factory SIM which is part of the Volvo On Call service.

Is anybody else seeing this or importantly if anybody hasn't got a pSIM installed, are you still getting over the air map updates?
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I believe the map updates does use the PSIM. The update isn't necessarily a new map each time.

I had to use a USB stick until I installed a PSIM...I think ...was a few years ago now
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

My Vodafone SIM stopped on the cars first anniversary in October.

SIM removed. (About to buy the cheap deal three SIM)

Current map version is 1356, so no updates have been happening here since October.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Use a USB on PC/Apple Mac... A lot quicker for installation if you don't do very long trips...
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

I did my first update (NW Europe) yesterday. D/l OTA was pretty quick. Instal then took longer, about 10mins.

Then switch off/reboot to complete. Need to check it when I drive it again, and how much data it used.

Will update France when we go next summer.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Mikeg1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:09 am I did my first update (NW Europe) yesterday. D/l OTA was pretty quick. Instal then took longer, about 10mins.

Then switch off/reboot to complete. Need to check it when I drive it again, and how much data it used.

Will update France when we go next summer.

And now on 1363, with 348 meg used.

PXL_20211122_111951417.jpg

PXL_20211122_105544845.jpg

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Thanks guys

So it is looking like the data file downloaded over the air is much much smaller than the data file you download when using USB. Go figure :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde