Hill assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Good Morning

How are you all finding hill start assist. I was on quite a steep hill and as I transferred my foot from the brake to the accelerator, the car began to roll back. The Renault Van I drive gives hill start assist on slopes, let alone hills.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Hey! I meant to ask that as well. For the record, i keep Auto-Hold off. Seems that with that one, obviously it works.

But with it turned off, i find the car rolls back quite fast, and incredibly annoying. I managed to make it stay a few times by pressing the break pedal harder, but i'm not sure that's actually how it works as on other cases it still rolled back. Very weird, i drove my Mazda 3 on that hill for 3 years when leaving work and never had issues
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

To follow up on this - i've just read the manual bit again. Clearly specifies it's unrelated to Auto-Hold

The function means that the pedal pressure in the brake system remains for several seconds while the driver's foot is moved from brake pedal to accelerator pedal.

The temporary braking effect releases after several seconds or when the driver starts to drive away.

Hill start assist is available even if the function for automatic braking when stationary (Auto hold) is deactivated.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Does it depend on how hard you had pressed the brake pedal? I'm guessing that if harder it puts more pressure in the system?

Surprised it is rolling back though as if in D the tickover should allow it to move off without rolling back. I tend to use Autohold anyway for hill starts.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Abureyazuddin

Post by Abureyazuddin »

Hi Dermottdog
Did you find a fix for the Hill assist issue?
Just picked up my 2021 T4 R Design, and the vehicle rolls back every now and then even on a slight incline.
Wife drives the vehicle and tends to get extremely anxious which is understandable.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

There's no fix for it - i've checked it with Volvo and apparently the hillstart only engages when the engine stops. It's incredibly counterintuitive and i see no reason whu this would happen, but you'll learn to live with it.
It rolls back very little before power gets to the wheels
Abureyazuddin

Post by Abureyazuddin »

Thanks for the reply. Their reasoning Doesn't make sense though. It works most times. Wife parks at work on a very small incline. When taking off it rolls back. I switched off auto start/stop. So when she stops in traffic on an incline the hill assist engages most times and sometimes when she least expects it, it will roll. Seems Volvo is not owning up to this. Also surely if this is normal, all users should be experiencing the same, and if so, why so few complaints? Would have lived with it if I was the regular driver. With the wife driving I will never hear the end of this
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I'm experiencing a slight roll back lately, but it seems to me that the car stops when the engine is on (so everything is OK) while when the auto start/stop is active and the engine shuts off, the car rolls slightly back when I lift the foot from the pedal and the engine starts. I'm not using auto brake.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Abureyazuddin

Post by Abureyazuddin »

Auto start/stop is disabled on mine but still does it.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I have a 2 month old XC40 B4 R design and have also found the hill assist to only work intermittently and this is not related to hill gradient or brake pedal pressure. My previous car, a Peugeot 2008, had hill assist which worked every time on all gradients. I now use the auto hold a lot more to compensate. A bit miffed really as living in a VERY hilly area this is something I found important to have.
Last edited by PlymDave on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.