Automatic rear windscreen wiping when reversing

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

I am hoping someone has a solution to this! On my car, the automatic rear windscreen wiping when reversing does not work even though the box is ticked under wiper settings. Is this because I have the front wipers set to automatic via the rain sensor and have not manually started the wipers?

Any ideas would be most welcome!
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Yes, I have noticed the same issue. Regrettably I don't know the answer!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I have the front wipers on my car set to automatic. The rear wiper does work when reverse is selected but only if the main wipers are actually working at the time.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

EmJay wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:41 pm I am hoping someone has a solution to this! On my car, the automatic rear windscreen wiping when reversing does not work even though the box is ticked under wiper settings. Is this because I have the front wipers set to automatic via the rain sensor and have not manually started the wipers?

Any ideas would be most welcome!
My experience is that the rear wipe will only activate if the front ones are actually sweeping the front screen ie the front sensor detects water so it will also activate the rear one, if so configured, if you're in reverse. I have mine set exactly as yours.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

Same. The rear only activates if the fronts are working.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Thank you all, that sets my mind at rest.

My last car was a BMW X1 but the rear wiper always engaged even when the (auto) front wipers were not actually sweeping at the time of selecting reverse.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

EmJay wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:59 pm
My last car was a BMW X1 but the rear wiper always engaged even when the (auto) front wipers were not actually sweeping at the time of selecting reverse.
Bet that made a nice sound on dry gritty glass! Good ol' BMW.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019