Stop-Start, Auto-Hold and Speed Limiter

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

I know this is covered in at least one other thread, but the discussion there has deviated somewhat at times, so I've started this thread to concentrate the issue.

I'm in correspondence with Volvo Customer Services re: the issue that has already been identified on this and other forums viz:

• Stop/start functions as expected (brake to a halt, engine stops, removing foot from footbrake causes engine to restart)
  • Stop/start with auto-hold functions as expected (brake to a halt, engine stops, removing foot from footbrake does not cause engine to restart, restart requires use of the accelerator)
  • Stop/start with auto-hold and the speed limiter engaged does not function as expected (brake to a halt, engine stops, removing foot from footbrake causes engine to restart, rather than requiring the use of the accelerator as above)

Given that I use auto-hold and speed-limiter as a matter of course, I find this inconsistent, illogical and frustrating (as at least a few other people apparently do).

As others have reported it, it isn't an issue peculiar to my vehicle, and I wonder how widespread it is, and the level of frustration in those that have identified it (until you realise the symptoms are consistent with the use of the speed-limiter, it can appear that the stop/start with auto-hold function is rather random).

If anyone would like to confirm that they have the same issue (and particularly if they find it as irksome as I do) it may help me progress it with Volvo if they could respond, and I can point Customer Services to the resulting responses.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Looks like it's just me that has the issue, and/or finds it frustrating. :?
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I don't normally have stop/start activated, but I'll try and replicate the issue tomorrow.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

jamie307 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:09 am I don't normally have stop/start activated

...unfortunately, mine is one of the recent ones with the ability to turn start/stop off removed....
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Doesn't Dynamic Mode deactivate Start/Stop?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

..after testing today, it appears that, for those recent cars that lack the soft-button to deactivate start/stop, neither is the function deactivated by Dynamic Drive Mode. (at least, that is definitely the case for mine).
vbilenko

Post by vbilenko »

Have exact same issue.
Is there any way to fix it?
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Short answer: No. I've given up limiter and use Cruise Control to keep within limits in town (it works from 20mph up.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

The only compromise I've found is to:

Let the car and engine come to a stop with my foot on the brake pedal.

Without lifting from the brake pedal, put the limiter in standby with the centre-left steering wheel button, then lift off the brake pedal, and immediately re-activate the limiter with the same pedal. The engine does not restart until asked.

Clunky, I know, but it works (though it'll probably lead to premature wear on the button ;) )
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Sherwood wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 am Looks like it's just me that has the issue, and/or finds it frustrating. :?
No, no, I found this frustrating too, but have just stumbled upon this thread!
I noticed it works that way with cruise control as well and is frustrating. But what I noticed is that if I have my foot on brake pedal long enough (don't know how long it should be, some 5 sec maybe?) once I remove it, the engine won't start and I can start it by using the accelerator.
However, once I know how is "should" work, I'll try to test it properly in my future rides.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018