XC40 R Design B4P 7 SPEED

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Best or cheaper we will see??? Yep they are more efficient - think I read torque converters 89% and duel-clutches 96% or there about? Can't agree on MPG - yes on paper maybe - but real world is down to who drives and how they drive - Got up to 59mpg in a Volvo B4 - only ever managed 47 in a TFSI-DSG. You don't mention (ever) V's reliability - what mileage has a duel-clutch ever managed to date - do you think they will achieve the hyper mileage of torque converters - possibly - not though in my opinion!!

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Unlike goldie and other posters I don’t have the experience of owning and driving auto cars, this will be my first auto vehicle so anything will probably be great for me.
If the Geeley 7 speed box fitted into the b4 is the same as the million that have been fitted to cars in Asia, and there would be no apparent reason why it isn’t . Reading the research the Geeley box has been developed with Volvo and to Volvo standards that is to say a lifespan of 350k KLM as opposed to the industry standard of 240k klm , It has also been run in testing and development for 9 million Klm in the cold winters of Sweden , the deserts and all in between.
Yes there is probably a cost implication in the change purely down to economies of scale but as I have stated earlier I don’t believe that Volvo would be fitting an inferior gearbox in their cars.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

The question is are Volvo the company they used to be or Chinese copy? I'm sure we'll find out in years to come.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
gripross

Post by gripross »

JFDIT wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 pm The question is are Volvo the company they used to be or Chinese copy? I'm sure we'll find out in years to come.
Let’s just hope it’s the former.., but from what I’ve seen these last 2 years owning a Volvo compared to formerly owning Audi I still feel build quality is far better on the Volvos.
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
Moss

Post by Moss »

JFDIT wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 pm The question is are Volvo the company they used to be or Chinese copy? I'm sure we'll find out in years to come.
No company is today what it used to be a long time ago. One could say that only Volvo Group i.e. Volvo Trucks (*) is what remains of the former Volvo company, while Volvo Cars is the part of the former Volvo company that would probably be bankrupt and nonexistent today if that part hadn’t ultimately been taken over by Geely.

As for the Geely/Volvo 7-speed automatic gearbox : when a car company develops an automatic gearbox, the goal is to use it in its products, so that’s what Geely does, also in some of its Volvo Cars products.

It’s mainly a matter of cutting costs : to Geely/Volvo, the 7-speed gearbox is obviously at a lesser price than the 8-speed automatic gearbox from Aisin. Simple as that.

Is the 7-speed as good as the Aisin 8-speed ? Well, it’s different. But since it has already been used and is used by Geely in Asia without apparent problems, I wouldn’t be concerned about its quality.

(*) Let's forget about Renault Trucks for simplicity.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Can't wait to read about duel-clutches reaching those miles in the real world usage??? I feel sure the change over will be ok with no real issues - who knows, only time will tell - but for me, and I understand many won't agree, and after driving many torque converters and duel-clutches, I prefer the relaxed almost silent and smooth drive of a torque converter (a real and proper automatic) to what I felt was a manual being changed automatically often with unruliness snappy jerky changes - this is only my view and preference as I'm sure many will prefer duel-clutches, especially if its a performance sports car, which I have always felt a Volvo should not be.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Oldie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:00 am Can't wait to read about duel-clutches
Me too...which one will win...En Garde!
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
gripross

Post by gripross »

Oldie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:00 am Can't wait to read about duel-clutches reaching those miles in the real world usage??? I feel sure the change over will be ok with no real issues - who knows, only time will tell - but for me, and I understand many won't agree, and after driving many torque converters and duel-clutches, I prefer the relaxed almost silent and smooth drive of a torque converter (a real and proper automatic) to what I felt was a manual being changed automatically often with unruliness snappy jerky changes - this is only my view and preference as I'm sure many will prefer duel-clutches, especially if its a performance sports car, which I have always felt a Volvo should not be.
Agreed… we will probably have to wait and see. And yes I bought a volvo for the feeling of safety snd build quality.., not for its sportiness… although the R Design does have sporty looks in my opinion.
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
ProMo-T3

Post by ProMo-T3 »

This is from the MY22 brochure - may or may not be useful -

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2418

Screenshot_20211011-131153_Drive.jpg

B4 Inscription Pro AWD in Glacier Silver with all extra packs 12th Oct 21
Previously had a T3 Momentum Pro in Ice White for 3 years with tinted rears and 19's
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

ProMo-T3 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:17 pm This is from the MY22 brochure - may or may not be useful -

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2418
Yeah, that's from edition 5b of the MY22 brochure. The problem is that edition 4 of MY22 shows the 8 speed for the B4P and it's not clear at what point edition 5 takes over.