Upgrade older xc40 software with Android Auto from Recharge version

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
rk5

Post by rk5 »

Is there any way to upgrade the XC40 older models with latest Android Auto version, as it is a more nicer OS and also has OTA software updates.

Just curious if this is possible as the hardware (screen/cameras, sensors, etc) seems same. Or is there a processor upgrade we’re not aware of?

Even in that case, Tesla has done retrofits to older cars with newer processors to keep models upto date.

Hope upgrading to Android OS is possible, or is at least offered as a paid retrofit option from Volvo.

While we’re at that, love to get wireless CarPlay, inbuilt MagSafe (at dash level) and seamless dashcam support too :)

PS: Tesla offers retrofit processor upgrade option, as it sees this as a win-win bcos it has more cars as test mules to enhance their autopilot system with...

Love to hear your thoughts!
Volvo XC40, D4, Crystal White

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

No, it’s not possible to upgrade an old XC40 to Android Automotive software.
XC40 Pure Recharge has a new processor and new dashboard screen with higher ppi.
asb

Post by asb »

Impossible. A lot has been changed. Since processor, graphics card, etc ... Unfortunately the automotive industry is becoming like mobile phones. The next XC40 will probably be like this, the XC60 2022 is already.
backtobase

Post by backtobase »

I suppose it’s similar with smart TVs. The screen will last for years and years but the underlying processor, amount of memory, etc. will start to date and eventually keeping the software running on it becomes uneconomical for the manufacturer to continue to support.

The main selling point of the Android Automotive OS for me is full screen Google maps on the centre console screen, and integration into the digital cluster too, replacing the built-in sat nav. The higher ppi of the screens looks good too.

Would be great if Volvo were to extend the current CarPlay/Android Auto integration to support full screen, but as mentioned elsewhere here that is unlikely to happen. Probably on internal development cost grounds - and that they are focused on Android Automotive as the future. Plus, their thinking could be that holding the feature back from existing owners might encourage a few to buy new cars!
MY21 B4 R Design Onyx Black
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

So the new P8 Recharge models don't use Android Auto which is just the Android equivalent of Apple CarPlay. They are actually built on the Google Automotive platform which is much more than just a fancy satnav.

Of course this just highlights the reason why this is such a bad idea.

These sorts of systems take years to develop. Because not only do they play your music from Spotify but they also control things like emergency stop, anti lock brakes and other stuff that can save your life.

CarPlay and Android Auto are a great idea because as Google or Apple upgrade their phones, thus you get all the new features instantly without having to change your car.

But Google Automotive suffers from the same problems around time to deliver new features. Anything new has to be tested not just on a virtual test bed but on real cars that may need to be subjected to real crash tests all of which take months to do. If you throw in how Google have failed in the past around upgrades to Android, this has the potential to be a huge disaster in the next few years when Google get bored of the whole idea and shut down the product line (because they do that far too often) leaving a bunch of obsolete five year old Volvos in their wake

The idea is great but this is Google we are talking about here and I would rather place my safety when driving at 90mph down the autobahn in Volvo than Google.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

rk5

Post by rk5 »

Hey m@rk, that’s an interesting take. And of course I’m sure most Volvo customers would trust Volvo vs Google. For privacy, autonomy, safety and what not.

That said, I really wish Volvo completely owns/controls the OS just like Tesla. Huge benefits and use cases in Autonomy and control. (Maybe a custom Android fork should work too + it could help with upgrading current Android customers)

To quote Alan Kay, “People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.”

The vice versa is true too :)
Volvo XC40, D4, Crystal White
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

rk5 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:46 am Hey m@rk, that’s an interesting take. And of course I’m sure most Volvo customers would trust Volvo vs Google. For privacy, autonomy, safety and what not.

That said, I really wish Volvo completely owns/controls the OS just like Tesla. Huge benefits and use cases in Autonomy and control. (Maybe a custom Android fork should work too + it could help with upgrading current Android customers)

To quote Alan Kay, “People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.”

The vice versa is true too :)
Hmmm Not sure I agree... Your "testing base" is only the population of Tesla cars in the case you quote, I'd rather see a huge testing base and for Volvo to overlay their security and controls over the top of it.

Having had a working life involved in IT, the number of routes software can take through x million lines of code is huge... Windows XP was 30,000,000 lines. Testing all the possibilities is impossible, hence the patching regime we see from them...
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I was an avid fan of Sony TVs for years until they switched from their own OS to Android TV.
I will never buy Sony or any other Android based TV again, IMHO Android TV is so slow and the interface so user unfriendly with so many bugs and updates. It’s just a huge compromise, a jack of all trades but master of none. Give me a dedicated OS every time.

I have no experience of Android Auto but if it’s anything like Android TV then I certainly have no interest in going there, I’ll do without the fancy apps thanks, I have plenty of those on my iPhone...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Rifleman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:17 am I was an avid fan of Sony TVs for years until they switched from their own OS to Android TV.
I will never buy Sony or any other Android based TV again, IMHO Android TV is so slow and the interface so user unfriendly with so many bugs and updates. It’s just a huge compromise, a jack of all trades but master of none. Give me a dedicated OS every time.

I have no experience of Android Auto but if it’s anything like Android TV then I certainly have no interest in going there, I’ll do without the fancy apps thanks, I have plenty of those on my iPhone...
I am not sure how did you jump to a conclusion that it is Android problem.

If TV vendor tried to make a cheaper model and put really slow compute into your TV, like some vendors also do with Cars (the cheaper the is - slower Infosystem is).

It is like comparing £200 Android phone with IPhone and conclude that IPhone is faster... You get what you pay for.

I like what Tesla does - they just upgrade compute hardware in your car, so it have enough CPU / Ram to run all the new stuff.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

As a long term software designer and systems integrator I'm of the opinion that those that are proficient with hardware are invariably hopeless with their software and Sony are the perfect example; from cameras to gaming machines they've ploughed a proprietary furrow and are forever getting it wrong. Their android TVs are at least an acknowledgement of this deficiency in their powers. FWIW I've always thought WebOS to be the best TV experience.

As for car manufacturers, it's a similar story and I think Volvo's partnership with Google is a big step in the right direction. Being good at both hardware and software is hard and even Apple, who are better than most, have to limit their devices capabilities to ensure the quality that they're known for.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19