T3 or T4? Did I made a mistake with T3?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ushare

Post by ushare »

Dear all,

I am new to forum and new Volvo owner (so far driving Mercedes). I ordered XC40 T3 Momentum (156hp automatic) for my wife fully load with equipment.
She will be driving it around town and in between towns ( max 150 kilometers in between on local roads ). Per year probably not more then 10.000 kilometers.
Also I will be driving it sometimes around town to save milage on my mercedes.

After testing T3 for 20 minutes it seemed fine for me, but now after ordering it I read people complain about vibrations/rattle noise of engine so I am in doubt did I maybe made mistake in ordering T3 instead of T4? How is your experience between T3 and T4 automatic in terms of engine sound/vibrations/power?

Thanks

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Absolutely fine. I'd suggest the only reason someone would need a T4 or T5 would be for towing.

When you say fully loaded do you mean with ~500kg?
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

T3 is a 3 cylinder engine that will create more noise and vibration than the 4 cylinder T4. How much more? Well, it depends on your level of sensitivity, some will be bothered by it, others won’t. You test drove the T3 and it seemed fine to you, why worry now about how much quieter and smoother the T4 might be? In objective terms, T3 advantage is lower purchasing price and lower tax (in some countries), whereas B4 (mild-hybrid version of T4) is more powerful and has marginally better mileage according to WLTP.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Misses car (VW) is a 3 cylinder, smooth as silk, quiet as a mouse. Sometimes you're hard pressed to tell it's running. OK, yes when you put your foot hard down it gets noisy, very distinctive sound, but quite pleasing with it. Oh, and the car's a T-Cross, looking from above pretty nearly the same size as the XC40 but a bit lighter, and it's 3 cyl is only 1 litre. But boy it's got plenty of poke.

Don't worry about your choice, it'll be fine :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I had a 3 pot 1 litre Focus Ecoboost a few years back, magic engine, no vibrations just a lovely throaty exhaust note when pressed
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Had my T3 for nearly 4 weeks, had no vibration or noise issues, the engine is not as noisy as the 1.5 VW engine in my last car . The engine does get louder when you push it but it’s not an unpleasant sound.
I have only covered 500 miles and currently on 35 mpg average on mixed driving I expect this to increase when the engine loosens more

The engine is fine for me and performs as expected and if I was given the chance again I would order the same car but thought more about an auto. I am retired so don’t need all the bells and whistles of the higher spec cars , my T3 R design has all the kit that I need.

Had I still been working and commuting I would have checked out the B4 but at around £4k more than what I paid it wasn’t justified or affordable .
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
ushare

Post by ushare »

jamie307 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:17 am Absolutely fine. I'd suggest the only reason someone would need a T4 or T5 would be for towing.

When you say fully loaded do you mean with ~500kg?
Well i had choice between t3 and t4, price difference was 4k eur.
For 4k eur less i took t3 and price difference loaded it with navigation, electric trunk, electric seats and seat memory, camera and seat heating.
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

No noticeable vibrations with our T3, smooth running and very quiet, the sound-deadening engine cover seems to work very well- like Felindre I can’t always tell if it’s running at idle. Some some inevitable noise from under the bonnet when you put pedal to the metal but to my mind this is a kind of not unpleasant growl. The car seems to waft me along, nothing like as noisy as our previous v40 D2.
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

I always thought that the 1.5 in the momentum was different than the 1.5 in the R Design. There are definately two 1.5s as I bought the RD Pro and it is much quicker than the 1.5 Momentum I tested.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

No there's only one 1.5 engine, it's in the same state of tune whether you choose R Design, Inscription or Momentum.

These are trim levels only.

The R Design has slightly firmer suspension but that's the only "mechanical" change.

The one exception is the T5 Recharge in which the same engine gives 178 BHP instead of 163, but again whichever trim level you go for has no bearing.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.