Driving with the boot open?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

My XC40 is a does not like unsafe things happening and will bong its heart out whenever it doesn't like something. Super frustrating when I'm trying to reverse out of my drive. Anyway.. 2 questions

1) Can you drive it with the boot open or does it not allow it, or whinge a lot or limit the speed at all?
2) Has anyone had any success in tying it semi shut - if so what did you use to tie it and where did you tie it to?

Yes, I'd be driving with windows open - even sunroof.
I want to go and get some 2.4m pieces of wood from BnQ and thought I'd ask here before trying to do this and then getting annoyed.

thanks
David
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

No direct experience. However my garage in a block is away from where I park and I quite often unload fishing tackle in to garage in dark and forget to close boot when I drive round to house. No adverse affects but its only about 2/300 yds and I'm only doing 5 mph or so. No bongs either. Mind you it won't shut while moving.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

interesting - thanks for the comments!
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Assuming you have a powered tailgate, you probably won't need to tie it shut.
You can stop the tailgate moving at any time by just pressing the close button when it reaches the desired position. You can also manually move it by hand. It does feel like there's a lot of resistance but it is designed to do this.
Clearly you understand about the fumes risk
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

DB2k

Post by DB2k »

thats interesting - thanks. I hope it then doesnt decide to open fully during driving! :lol:

(and yes its the keyless car)
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Hi DB2k. Doesn’t your car have a ski hatch in the back seat? If it does, you can carry 2.4m lengths comfortably with room to spare. That is assuming their width is not too great for the hatch aperture of course.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Hmm unsure. Might. Never sat in the back! But the seats do go down fully flat. So I will give it a good measuring. Thanks!
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
BlackDagger

Post by BlackDagger »

while on the subject, after walking my dogs I leave the boot open for them to get some air while I am changing, then I drive off forgetting to close the boot, everything else seems to have a warning chime to it, but not the boot, is there a setting somewhere that can be turned on, if there is I can't find it?
69 XC40 T5 AWD R Design Pro Auto, Pan Sunroof, 360 camera, intellisafe Pro Pack, Apple car play, convenience pack, on-call and Xenium pack in Bursting Blue metallic.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I have found that 2.4 metre fence posts fit in quite easily without having to drive with the boot open - just lay them diagonally from the nearside A-pillar to the offside boot corner, adjusting the passenger seat as necessary to get it out of the way, and wrapping the ends in rags so they don't scuff the trim.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

really? I'm surprised! but thanks - and good shout on the protection.

It's off for its 2nd service in a week or so. 2 years 36k mile service. Miles achieved. 18k. :-/
500 quid.. dang
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD