Data sim

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, today I popped in the 24GB SIM from 3. As others said, it couldn’t have been easier. The biggest hurdle was registering the sim. It asks you for the phone number of the sim. It then sends you a text on that number. But the sim is in the car!! It might well have displayed a text from 3 but I did it by live chat.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:55 pm So, today I popped in the 24GB SIM from 3. As others said, it couldn’t have been easier. The biggest hurdle was registering the sim. It asks you for the phone number of the sim. It then sends you a text on that number. But the sim is in the car!! It might well have displayed a text from 3 but I did it by live chat.
Registering the SIM is optional but if you go the the trouble, you can then see your usage etc via the Three website.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

No need to register, if you go into settings in Sensus you can reset the usage there and keep an eye on its use.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, does anyone else think that the 3 network isn’t as good as Vodafone? My remote start has stopped working (can’t start car because of engine fault) outside my house. It works in other places. I don’t get a great signal and suspect the car isn’t receiving the command.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Guess it depends solely where you live. All the networks have areas of poor reception.

I live in a low mobile signal coverage for virtually all the networks. I'm on O2 for my mobile which the signal is patchy at best..but the car connects ok with 3 on the drive
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 am My remote start has stopped working (can’t start car because of engine fault) outside my house. It works in other places. I don’t get a great signal and suspect the car isn’t receiving the command.
This might address your problem: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2477&p=21852&hilit=SIM#p21852
Terms and Condiments

Post by Terms and Condiments »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 am So, does anyone else think that the 3 network isn’t as good as Vodafone? My remote start has stopped working (can’t start car because of engine fault) outside my house. It works in other places. I don’t get a great signal and suspect the car isn’t receiving the command.
All networks are different and have different coverage. Sometimes they share masts, sometime they don't.

Each network has a page on their website where you can check coverage before buying. What did the 3 Network coverage website indicate before you splashed your cash?

The company that I work for generally use Vodafone SIMS in company phones, however in certain areas of the country the operatives are given 3 Network SIMs as Vodafone has poor coverage in those particular areas.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Terms and Condiments wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 am
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 am So, does anyone else think that the 3 network isn’t as good as Vodafone? My remote start has stopped working (can’t start car because of engine fault) outside my house. It works in other places. I don’t get a great signal and suspect the car isn’t receiving the command.
All networks are different and have different coverage. Sometimes they share masts, sometime they don't.

Each network has a page on their website where you can check coverage before buying. What did the 3 Network coverage website indicate before you splashed your cash?

The company that I work for generally use Vodafone SIMS in company phones, however in certain areas of the country the operatives are given 3 Network SIMs as Vodafone has poor coverage in those particular areas.

I didn’t check but the coverage map says it should be ok. I think Vodafone are missing a trick here. They should be more flexible in their approach. Internet in the car is the future.
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

Hi all..
Is there a way to learn or CHANGE the IMEI number of the car modem on an 2020 XC40.
2020 XC40 T3 FWD Momentum 8AT
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

x-rayted wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:20 pm Hi all..
Is there a way to learn or CHANGE the IMEI number of the car modem on an 2020 XC40.
IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number is unique for each equipment and can not be changed.