Spare wheel

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

No spare on my previous car. Had a puncture whilst on a Scottish island. The only garage there offered me the choice of having 2 day wait for a correct replacement shipped from the mainland at my expense or purchasing a dodgy Chinese tyre that fitted but which I would have to throw away because it was the wrong rating. I chose the latter but it still cost me more than the price of a spare wheel! I doubt if Volvo rescue would have been much less hassle.
Now I would always opt for a spare.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18

agilefrog

Post by agilefrog »

I didn't get the spare wheel with my car (dealer ex demonstrator), so bought the spare wheel kit from ebay. Fits fine, but it is heavy and you do lose useful boot space. My current thinking is I will only fit it for longer journeys when the insurance of a proper spare would be useful, and just carry the tyre repair kit for normal local use. That way I should get the best of both worlds re fuel saving/storage and the reassurance of a proper spare when it would be useful. It's good to have choices!
XC40 T3 Momentum Auto + Winterpack
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I prefer having a spare wheel in the car, but my ex-demonstrator XC40 came with the gunk kit, so I ordered a space saver spare from the dealership. When it arrived, they asked me to drop the car in for an hour and they installed the kit in the boot for me.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

I have a spare wheel never used it but still think is essential ordered one for my new car That’s on order you just never know when you may need it
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Misses car we picked up new dec 2019 didn't have a spare wheel, and i thought no problem. Not had a puncture in the 6 years of my current car, nor in the 6 plus years of her previous 2 cars, what's the likelyhood?

Less than 3 months into ownership of said car, left the house and within a quarter if a mile low tyre rear offside came up. Yup, it was flat. Got out the kit and thought whether it was worth all the effort taking the valve centre out, squirting in the gunk, valve centre back in, pump it up, and then would it mean a replacement new tyre?

Decided to just pump it up, and go straight home. A faf in itself as there's no 12v socket in the boot, so it has to go through the drivers window, and it needs the ignition on! Then i got home and there's no jack or wheelbrace, so i had to use the one from my car (both VW so compatible fortunately) to get the wheel off and take it in to be repaired.

It was a screw through the tyre, but fortunately it was away from the edge so able to have it repaired. I've now bought a spacesaver for the car and a jack and brace.

Trying to decide what to do with the XC49 coming in a week or so as I didn't think of this when ordering.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Felindre wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:22 am Misses car we picked up new dec 2019 didn't have a spare wheel, and i thought no problem. Not had a puncture in the 6 years of my current car, nor in the 6 plus years of her previous 2 cars, what's the likelyhood?

Less than 3 months into ownership of said car, left the house and within a quarter if a mile low tyre rear offside came up. Yup, it was flat. Got out the kit and thought whether it was worth all the effort taking the valve centre out, squirting in the gunk, valve centre back in, pump it up, and then would it mean a replacement new tyre?

Decided to just pump it up, and go straight home. A faf in itself as there's no 12v socket in the boot, so it has to go through the drivers window, and it needs the ignition on! Then i got home and there's no jack or wheelbrace, so i had to use the one from my car (both VW so compatible fortunately) to get the wheel off and take it in to be repaired.

It was a screw through the tyre, but fortunately it was away from the edge so able to have it repaired. I've now bought a spacesaver for the car and a jack and brace.

Trying to decide what to do with the XC40 coming in a week or so as I didn't think of this when ordering.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

This is the one thing I miss by moving away from BMW.

For the last 10 years, I have had BMW cars which of course come with run flat tyres. Sure there are still circumstances where they won't get you home but in many cases they do. All the comments online online about run flats ruining the ride etc are from people who clearly buy their tyres based on price not technology.

So run flats are not an option on the XC40 but I have noticed that Continental now offer puncture proof tyres. When I come round to needing my next set of tyres, this is certainly something I will be looking into.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

So i've decided to get the spare, jack (which you don't get with the puncture kit) and the foam to hold the tools and the tyre in place. Total £214.20

I feel happier with a proper tyre when towing the caravan.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The kit I ended up with is a plain skinny spare, a jack, and a wheel spanner. A large foam chunk to hold all the tools and a strange foam disk the size of the tyre. This i don't understand where it goes. It may sit on top of the tyre under the lower boot floor cover, but as i haven't that cover either i can't tell.

Can someone who has a factory fit spare please help by providing the part number of the hard felt cover that goes over the spare, but under the hard boot floor. The cover i've taken out for no spare has a well towards the back so it won't go back in place, it has a number on a label underneath it.. Any pictures would also be helpful.

This is what i have...
Spare and tool holder

IMG_20210325_154112.jpg

Strange cover

IMG_20210325_154140.jpg

This is what i'm looking for (but without the well at the back) hopefully a part number on the underside?

IMG_20210325_155015.jpg

Grip Tight

Post by Grip Tight »

Are you certain there is a flat hard felt cover available to fit over the spare. What benefit would this give?