Particulate filters

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Scanning through the manual (yet again!) I came upon a section headed ‘Petrol particle filter’ (page 436 of the 2020 manual). This refers to the petrol engine equivalent of the DPF which I believe is universal on diesel engine vehicles. There is a footnote that the section is ‘applicable to certain variants’ but I was not aware that any petrol vehicles had a PPF. The manual goes on to state that, as with the DPF, regular trips of several miles above 40mph (70km/h) are needed to clean the filter.

I presume the ‘certain variants’ are supplied to only a limited number of markets, but how would one know if one’s car had one? This could be important information for those of us who are required by the virus lockdown rules to travel only short distances.

Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

As far as I was aware all petrol vehicles available in the EU market must now be fitted with a PPF, I think this was part of the Euro 6 regulations.
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

According to the Which? website:

The technology has also been introduced on most new petrol models introduced since September 2018 in order to meet the EU6c requirements.

Do petrol particulate filters need maintenance?

According to manufacturers, cars with petrol particulate filters shouldn’t need to regularly be driven at higher speeds for short periods to stop them getting clogged up with soot, unlike with diesels.

Petrol particulate filters aren’t prone to getting blocked up like diesel particulate filters because petrol engines heat up quicker and run hotter than diesel engines, so more of the soot that’s collected in the filter is burnt off. Additionally, Porsche says that the electronic control units in its cars will detect when soot particles occasionally need to be burned off and increase the exhaust gas temperature to do this.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Deleted User 3279

Post by Deleted User 3279 »

Copy/Paste from the Volvo XC40 manual:

"Petrol cars are fitted with particle filters for more efficient emission control.

Particles in the exhaust gases are collected in the petrol particle filter during normal driving. In normal driving conditions, passive regeneration takes place, which leads to the particles being oxidised and burned away. The filter is emptied in this way.

If the car is driven at low speed or with repeated cold starts in low outside temperature, active regeneration may be necessary. Regeneration of the particulate filter is automatic and normally takes 10-20 minutes. Fuel consumption may temporarily increase during regeneration.

When driving short distances at low speeds in a petrol car
The capacity of the emissions system is affected by how the car is driven. Driving varying distances and at different speeds is important in order to achieve performance that is as energy-efficient as possible.

Driving short distances at low speeds (or in cold climates) frequently, where the engine does not reach normal operating temperature, can lead to problems that can eventually cause a malfunction and trigger a warning message. If the vehicle is mostly driven in city traffic, it is important to regularly drive at higher speeds to allow the emissions system to regenerate.

The car should be driven on A-roads at speeds in excess of 70 km/h (44 mph) for at least 20 minutes between each refuelling".
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that repeated short trips should not be troublesome because it seems likely that these UK travel restrictions might continue for some time yet!