Driving Modes

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

The voice of raisin wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 am
ropetko wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 am Regarding driving modes, can some of you tell me in which cases it is advisable to use the ECO mode? Is it better to use it while driving through the city traffic, while cruising on local roads or while driving 60-80 mph on highways? During winter time? During summer time? Up the hills? Downhill?
A Volvo dealer told me it is not advisable to use ECO mode while on highway with my D4 AWD because the engine cannot clear itself properly (whatever that means, although I suppose he was referring to the diesel filter). I prefer the Eco mode most of the time (although I love Dynamic on mountain roads) but I'm not sure when and where to use it and I don't want to harm the engine.

Any advice or experience is appreciated, thank you.

If you are of a certain age and and experienced in driving a car such as a 1970's Vauxhall Chevette then that's when I'd use Eco in the XC40. You won't notice much difference in performance and you'll be quite happy.
Well, I am of a certain age, thanks for noticing 😜, have a lot of experience driving manual gear cars and was always able to get low consumption in city driving. That's probably why I like Eco mode in the city, it shifts gears more like I would do, as opposite to Normal driving mode.

I just got e-mail from my Volvo service saying ECO mode is recommended for city driving only and not all the time (because of DPF congestion). That's also a reason why we should never use ECO mode on highway (according to Volvo service) and because the car needs power while ECO lowers the power. Interesting.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018

frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

ropetko wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:31 pm
The voice of raisin wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 am
ropetko wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 am Regarding driving modes, can some of you tell me in which cases it is advisable to use the ECO mode? Is it better to use it while driving through the city traffic, while cruising on local roads or while driving 60-80 mph on highways? During winter time? During summer time? Up the hills? Downhill?
A Volvo dealer told me it is not advisable to use ECO mode while on highway with my D4 AWD because the engine cannot clear itself properly (whatever that means, although I suppose he was referring to the diesel filter). I prefer the Eco mode most of the time (although I love Dynamic on mountain roads) but I'm not sure when and where to use it and I don't want to harm the engine.

Any advice or experience is appreciated, thank you.

If you are of a certain age and and experienced in driving a car such as a 1970's Vauxhall Chevette then that's when I'd use Eco in the XC40. You won't notice much difference in performance and you'll be quite happy.
Well, I am of a certain age, thanks for noticing 😜, have a lot of experience driving manual gear cars and was always able to get low consumption in city driving. That's probably why I like Eco mode in the city, it shifts gears more like I would do, as opposite to Normal driving mode.

I just got e-mail from my Volvo service saying ECO mode is recommended for city driving only and not all the time (because of DPF congestion). That's also a reason why we should never use ECO mode on highway (according to Volvo service) and because the car needs power while ECO lowers the power. Interesting.
I'm sorry but what the Volvo Service said sounds ridiculous. There is no mention in the manual as to the limits of different driving modes. You can safely choose each and every drive mode whenever you like - except for the offroad mode, of course. Whether you would prefer not using a mode on certain roads is completely up to you. For instance, I tend not to use the performance mode much in general because I dislike the fact that it holds on to gears too long for my liking. On the other hand, I like driving in eco mode in motorways mainly because of the coasting function, which is mentioned in the manual as below (when eco mode is selected):

"The Eco Coast freewheel function is activated and engine braking is deactivated when the accelerator pedal is released at speeds between 65 and 140 km/h (40 and 87 mph)."

I don't think that the coasting function, which is only available in eco mode, would work at motorway speeds if eco mode was harmful on highway.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Agreed frtsrm, Eco setting is going to have the least benefit for urban driving.

Having done some experimenting between Eco and Comfort mode on A roads with the instantaneous consumption display showing, I can say that on releasing the throttle, the display returns to 99 mpg more rapidly than when coasting in Eco mode.

Presumably, that's because modern cars shut the fuel supply off on the overrun, whereas a small amount of fuel is used when the engine is idling.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Thanks @frtsrm and @72 dudes, I agree with you.
I'm aware that most modern cars shut the fuel supply if you lift the foot of the pedal, while in coasting a small amount of fuel is used when the engine is idling. That's why coasting in ECO mode can actually burn more fuel that simply going downhill in Comfort mode. I also like the fact Eco mode lowers the car a bit, to get better aerodynamics, so I'm pretty much a fan of that kind of driving. On the other hand, Volvo service was referring on DPF and how driving most of the time in Eco mode can clog that filter. Just to remind, I'm driving a D4 AWD, not the Petrol engine.
Would love to hear a second opinion on Eco mode on highways though. From a Volvo mechanic, if possible. Could you guys ask your services on that? Thanks :)
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ropetko wrote: ↑Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 pm I also like the fact Eco mode lowers the car a bit, to get better aerodynamics
Is your car equipped with the optional FourC hydraulic suspension (no longer available since 2020)? Otherwise, car height and suspension stiffness is not adjustable.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

eugen61 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 am
ropetko wrote: ↑Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 pm I also like the fact Eco mode lowers the car a bit, to get better aerodynamics
Is your car equipped with the optional FourC hydraulic suspension (no longer available since 2020)? Otherwise, car height and suspension stiffness is not adjustable.
On the XC40 only the suspension stiffness (via the dampers) is adjusted, not height. Height adjustment only becomes possible on the XC60 and XC90 when fitted with air suspension.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Boxybutgood wrote: ↑Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:47 am
eugen61 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 am
On the XC40 only the suspension stiffness (via the dampers) is adjusted, not height. Height adjustment only becomes possible on the XC60 and XC90 when fitted with air suspension.
Thanks for the tip! I was referring to the Croatian version of the XC40 Manual (yes, I do have FourC) where it clearly says that the following property is adapted for Eco driving (my own translation):
- Distance from the ground is lowered in order to reduce wind resistance
There's no such sentence in UK manual :(