Heated Wing Mirrors

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
black_country

Post by black_country »

Hi everyone, quick question how do you know if you've got heated mirrors. I've got a 20 plate new shape R design [no badges or exhaust trim :( ] with a climate pack fitted as one of the options. I'm presuming [hah] that if they were an option it would have been included in this pack, I must have been too blown away with the heated steering wheel when ordering.
Anyway when the windscreen / rear window heaters are on the mirrors still have frost or moisture on them.
I'm sure my last car [Civic X] had as symbol on the mirrors themselves.
Cheers thanks in advance..

Cod Fish

Post by Cod Fish »

According to the manual they're standard on all XC40's. And are activated in conjunction with the rear demister control, but only if the temp is low.
They are either activated manually by the physical button on the console, or virtual button on the central screen, or automatically when the engine is switched on, if you have set this up.

They certainly have worked with my XC40 over the last few cold weeks.

I'd be more worried that they've installed the mirrors on the wings of your particular car - they should be on the doors ๐Ÿ™‚
black_country

Post by black_country »

showing my age..
cheers
Cod Fish

Post by Cod Fish »

black_country wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:58 pm showing my age..
cheers

Just a joke ๐Ÿ™‚ I tend to say the same! Being over 60 my first cars always had wing mirrors.

I've found the mirror heating isn't as strong as previous cars but does clear them. But it is temperature dependent. My previous VW heated the mirror even in summer if you switched it on. The volvo doesn't heat if the temp is above a value. I don't know what that value is.
black_country

Post by black_country »

I'm under 60 and I still call them that. I suppose thats what happens when your first car was a triumph vitesse convertible with racing mirrors fitted to the bonnet..
I think i've just replied to your other reply? about the sim card. While i was messing in the car i switched the front and rear heaters on and after about 5 mins felt the mirrors and they were warm so Im guessing it has them and they work, there's just no indication on the switches or mirrors themselves to show it.
Thanks for your help
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

You're right there is no mention on the switch itself but it is common in cars I've owned (non-Volvo) before for the door mirrors to get heated when the HRW is activated.

There's a really handy owners manual that covers stuff like this that you can either download to your PC or have on your phone through the volvo app. Got me out of a few muddles. Admittedly it wouldn't help with wing mirrors
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Cod Fish

Post by Cod Fish »

It's worth saying the opposite as well ! It's also common for the heated mirrors to be independent of the rear window setting. All my previous cars didn't have any connection e.g. Citroen, Fiat, VW, Renault etc etc

All had independent buttons for the two heating systems, the mirror button usually being on the door near the mirror control.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

You were lucky, Black Country, if your first cars had wing mirrors. With my first cars I had to (nervously) drill holes in the wings and fit them myself.