Sensus screen touch sensitivity

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Flatman5 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:59 pm I just got issued a new work phone running android and am dismayed with how bad AA works so frustrating and dangerous.
It’s even worse when coming from car play which worked like a dream.
Regretfully, have to agree with you 100%.

I'm a huge Android fanboy & can't get on with IOS but, even I have to say that Android Auto, once superb, is going through a tough spot at the moment.

Considering its raison d'etre was to provide safe interaction, it's now downright dangerous & should be suspended until they can be bothered to fix the issues.

They'll probably get sued in the US and, if they do, they'll get no sympathy from me.

(I say this in contradiction to my previous posts. We can all be sensible & avoid low-level interactions whilst driving but.....now, a new WhatsApp message might take 5 stabs to play 🤬).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

I have just posted a thread about this on the Android Auto community page: https://support.google.com/androidauto/ ... d=74552392

Feel free to join forces!

Btw, I strongly believe that this is an issue with the Volvo Sensus touch screen sensitivity. Thus, I doubt Google could do something about this. But here's for hoping..
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Not to defend Volvo, but if it were their issue, it would have worked like crap on the Sensus interaction too, and also while using CarPlay. None of these happen.

Hell, it registers commands just by hovering super close, before i get to actually hit it
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

ciuncky wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:58 pm Not to defend Volvo, but if it were their issue, it would have worked like crap on the Sensus interaction too, and also while using CarPlay. None of these happen.

Hell, it registers commands just by hovering super close, before i get to actually hit it
Exactly, that's precisely why I think it's an issue specific to Volvo. It's not their fault per se, it's a matter of incompatibility between Sensus and AA. Because Volvo made the screen so sensitive to touch - to be able to use with gloves -, and AA was not designed for this kind of sensitivity, we are encountering this kind of odd behaviour. As far as I am aware, no other car manufacturer employs screens this sensitive, so Google designed AA in a way to require a certain level of pressure which is simply not possible to apply in our cars because Sensus already registers our touch well before AA senses it. I don't know if what I just wrote makes any sense, and of course it's mostly speculation, but I can't come up with any other explanation. When I search the net, this doesn't come up as an issue with the AA with other car brands, so I believe this is specific to Volvo vehicles.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Speculation is a good thing & it's always good to look at something from every angle but.........I've spent my life designing systems & a touch is (usually) just a touch. Differentiation between a long or short press is commonplace and, to be fair, Sensus does have this (try moving icons around) but I don't *think* it's the problem here. To be honest, I don't have a scooby's so, despite no longer having an XC40, it's out with the popcorn for me.

Whenever I touch the screen, I'm usually left in no doubt about the touch being registered as I can see the screen react......it's just that the command isn't executed.

This could point to a problem with AA itself, or Volvo's implementation but, to be pedantic, it doesn't appear to be the screen.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera