Software Upgrading and Service Costs

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xcy40

Post by xcy40 »

Hello all

So my 2018 XC40 went in for its 2nd service. Out of warranty now (only 2 years in Cyprus) the local service center told me that they charge €26 for upgrading the software to the latest version!!! Does that make sense to you or I am excused to be furious about this practice?

Also for reference the 2nd service which is considered a small one is €277. A rear break change is €142.

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Can't really comment on T&Cs for Cyprus but, here in the UK, quoted service costs include the update. Volvo are notoriously expensive which is why service plans should be snapped up when offered.

Dealerships live & breathe on servicing work and will do so more and more as we shift to buying on-line.

I'd certainly tell them they don't get your business - Cyprus isn't that spread out, is it???
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Although I should also add that, in life, it's sometimes worth deciding what hills to die on.

Apart from fewer annoying map update messages, there's not a lot to get excited about in the past 12 months - even less so if you recently had the recall.

https://www.volvocars.com/sg/support/to ... re-updates

(AND.......If they haven't fixed what they broke yet regards the start/stop, it may be best not to update??)
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
xcy40

Post by xcy40 »

Thank you for your comments.

I already collected the car "fully updated".

It's actually my second consecutive Volvo and I am well aware of their service rates.
The update rate though was new to me and I have to admit it got me a lot angrier than it should.

The service manager said that Volvo is charging them for the update and that is why they transfer the cost to the clients.
I told them that it is unacceptable for any company to charge for fixes and improvement subsequently found on the software as this is not new functionality or an upgrade to a new system.

He last excuse is that they have to charge because some people ask for software updates for the alarm to be disabled etc.

Honestly it doesn't make any sense to me . I would expect that Volvo wants all of their vehicle to run the latest possible code so update should be free so I am checking if other dealerships do the same elsewhere.

Note that Cyprus only has one dealer per brand. Finding an independent mechanic for Volvo vehicles, with access to the latest diagnostics and service manuals should be close to impossible.
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

My car will also have its 2nd yearly service soon so am guessing I will be charged too for the s/w upgrade (in Cyprus too)

I am not sure what other car manufacturers do but from what I understand it s not as simple as we might think.
By the way, I had one upgrade for free as head unit would go black sometimes and the update fixed that.
BxUKXwp6CZ01

Post by BxUKXwp6CZ01 »

Hi ChrisS777 did both the central display and the one in front of the driver go blank at the same time - then both restart 30secs later? If that was the case I can tell my dealer that my problem is not unique! Do you know which update you had or its date?
Thanks
T4 AWD Inscription Auto Intellisafe Xenium Pack Winter Pack Tempa Spare Wheel
xcy40

Post by xcy40 »

Hi BxUKXwp6CZ01, I had the issue of both screens turning off and no system sound coming out (i.e. left/right signals). I realized that this was an issue with having android phone connected and it was fixed with the first (free) system update.

@ChrisS777 please keep me posted on this. Honestly, I am furious on how they handled this and the way they spoke to me. Mind you, within the family we had one C30, two XC90 and another XC40 under lease, so I am not new with their service people or tactics...
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

Hi,
@BxUKXwp6CZ01, both screens went black and I had the update that fixed it, some time in February this year.
@xcy40, my service is due on the 22nd of October, I will keep you posted of the outcome.
xcy40

Post by xcy40 »

Posting two replies from Volvo International, with the main conclusion highlighted for reference...

[12:11, 9/17/2020] Hi Marios, thank you for writing to us. While our Volvo retailers are authorised to represent our brand, they do remain independent business and therefore are able to set their own prices. It is not unusual for a Volvo retailer to charge a small fee for a software update to cover the time taken to do this. We hope this clarifies your question but please do let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.
Kind regards,
Volvo Cars

[12:11, 9/17/2020] Hi Marios, we have heard back from our colleagues in Cyprus who have advised us that our representative has met with you to explain this charge and they have already investigated this. We will certainly record your dissatisfaction with this charge but we do not have the influence from our social media channels to change their policies. As previously mentioned, it is normal and most retailers do charge for updates.
Kind regards,
Volvo Cars
Jools

Post by Jools »

In the UK Volvo publish their "Volvo Service Promise"

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mainte ... ce-promise

Free software updates are included:-

"Free Software Upgrade
Volvo cars are packed with computers and control modules and our engineers are constantly developing and improving the software installed to operate them. This means that your Volvo can get a little better at every service, since free software updates are always included. Examples of functions or systems that can be optimised include air conditioning, engine management and driver information.
(Please note: Navigation map updates are not included). Updates apply to all Volvo models from model year 1999 and onwards, except the Volvo C70 –05, S/V40 –03, XC/V70 –00."

and from the pdf....

"OUR PROMISE TO YOU:
A FREE SOFTWARE UPDATE WITH EVERY SERVICE
When you bring your Volvo to us for a service, we perform a comprehensive software update to ensure that your on-board computer systems are functioning at their best.
Normally this would cost up to £50, but we provide it free of charge as part of our Volvo Service Promise."