Brotek Screen Protector

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DrAdrian

Post by DrAdrian »

Good afternoon

Following advice here I purchased a screen protector. It arrived this morning and I attempted to fit it. The instructions say to remove protective film but neither the missus (long nails!) nor I can discern such a layer. So at present the thing just sits on the screen. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Inscription b5 Auto.

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

It’s been quite a while since I fitted my Brotec screen protector but from what I remember there were 2 protective films, both had tabs to help remove them and they were labelled back and front. Remove back one, fit protector, smooth down then remove front film...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
A N Other

Post by A N Other »

My Brotect protector, fitted a few weeks ago, had a single protective applicator film attached to the screen protector (to protect the protector) so no back and front or tabs or wording. I just followed the instruction.

Basically remove half of the applicator film, apply the screen protector to the Volvo and smooth with a cloth covered credit card or similar. Remove the applicator film as you go along.

If you didn't read the instructions and removed the screen protector from the applicator film before the installation then there will be nothing further to remove.

The screen protector (the piece that stays on the car) is slightly smaller (1mm or so) than the applicator film so no need for long nails 😀.

The package came with two protectors as mentioned, so you have two chances.

I found the first attempt have me a few bubbles but it was real easy to remove and reapply. So I still have the second protector.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I seem to be alone in finding a screen protector totally unnecessary. :?

I only notice finger marks when the screen is off and I'm looking at it at a certain angle, and even then they don't bother me. And I can't think of any other reason to have one, it's not like I'm going to scratch the screen with my massive diamond rings.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
A N Other

Post by A N Other »

I was sceptical, as I wouldn't be seen dead with one on my phone, but I do fit them to my cameras to boost resale value (because of scratches). So I did buy the mat version for my XC40 and, surprisingly, I do find it useful. No greasy marks and no scratches from my massive diamond rings.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

jamie307 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:28 pm I seem to be alone in finding a screen protector totally unnecessary. :?

I only notice finger marks when the screen is off and I'm looking at it at a certain angle, and even then they don't bother me. And I can't think of any other reason to have one, it's not like I'm going to scratch the screen with my massive diamond rings.
Nope, you’re not the only one. The screen is a finger print magnet but the same could be said of all the piano black surfaces. When there’re covered in finger prints, just wipe them away. Volvo even supply a soft cloth for the job.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
A N Other

Post by A N Other »

Only Me!
You don't wanna do it like that, you wanna do it like this.

Harry Enfield and Chums
c.1990
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm
jamie307 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:28 pm I seem to be alone in finding a screen protector totally unnecessary. :?

Nope, you’re not the only one. The screen is a finger print magnet but the same could be said of all the piano black surfaces. When there’re covered in finger prints, just wipe them away. Volvo even supply a soft cloth for the job.
I find the matte protector also reduces glare so I can see the screen better when the sun shines on it
I also read on a forum, possibly this one, that interior cleaners can damage the screen. So for protection, visibility and reduced fingerprints it seems like a no brainer to me.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
DrAdrian

Post by DrAdrian »

Armed with the advice, both good and silly (!), I persevered and eventually the memsahib managed to find the protective film - no tabs - and it is now installed. Onwards and upwards. Thanks all.
Inscription b5 Auto.
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

I’ve just put one of these on my newly arrived T5, and first thought it is slightly too big for the screen?

Anybody else had this issue, or maybe took more than one attempt.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.