Electric tailgate

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Jiggerb

Post by Jiggerb »

The electric tailgate will not open/close using the foot technique.
XC40 T3 R-Design 2021 model.
Not too sure if this option is available in this model, but salesman tried and failed on vehicle handover on Monday 7th Sept.
Any idea folks?

LIPSTER

Post by LIPSTER »

Try a quick kick under the left-hand side of the number plate parking sensor.
Make sure you swinging leg forward and back away from the bumper.
Works every tim for me.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Jiggerb wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:46 pm The electric tailgate will not open/close using the foot technique.
Not too sure if this option is available in this model, but salesman tried and failed on vehicle handover on Monday 7th Sept.
Any idea folks?
Hi Jiggerb,

I’m not in the UK, but if I’m not mistaken your «electric tailgate» feature is the same as in Belgium and France……

There is a difference between  Power Operated Tailgate and Handsfree opening/closing Tailgate.

The Power Operated Tailgate (when you push the button(s) the tailgate opens or closes electrically) is standard on the R-Design and Inscription.

However, the Handsfree opening/closing Tailgate (using the foot technique) which requires having the Power Operated Tailgate indeed, is part of the Versatility Pack.

In other words, if you don’t have the Versatility pack you don’t have the handsfree operated tailgate.

Complicated ? Nah, with Volvo (and Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc.) it’s quite important before ordering to have a good look at the options and packs lists if you want specific features, even when you order the more expensive versions.
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

If you have keyless entry, the tailgate should open with the kicking technique, if you don't then it won't?
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
Moss

Post by Moss »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 pm If you have keyless entry, the tailgate should open with the kicking technique, if you don't then it won't?
That’s correct. Keyless Drive as it's called is also part of the Versatility pack, together with Handsfree Tailgate Opening/Closing.

https://assets.volvocars.com/uk/~/media ... f?la=en-gb

PS. For Keyless Drive (i.e. keyless opening and closing) please see pages 252 and following of your manual.
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

And make sure you have the key in your pocket.

According to the manual it’s very sensitive about this.

And I’ve tested. My wife can’t open with the foot if the keys are in my pocket.
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
Jiggerb

Post by Jiggerb »

Moss wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:34 pm
Jiggerb wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:46 pm The electric tailgate will not open/close using the foot technique.
Any idea folks?
Hi Jiggerb,

I’m not in the UK, but if I’m not mistaken your «electric tailgate» feature is the same as in Belgium and France……

There is a difference between  Power Operated Tailgate and Handsfree opening/closing Tailgate.

The Power Operated Tailgate (when you push the button(s) the tailgate opens or closes electrically) is standard on the R-Design and Inscription.

However, the Handsfree opening/closing Tailgate (using the foot technique) which requires having the Power Operated Tailgate indeed, is part of the Versatility Pack.

In other words, if you don’t have the Versatility pack you don’t have the handsfree operated tailgate.

Complicated ? Nah, with Volvo (and Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc.) it’s quite important before ordering to have a good look at the options and packs lists if you want specific features, even when you order the more expensive versions.
Thanks, that explains it. Have to educate the salesmen on this, as was advised it was an option on this model and even tried it several times himself.
Thanks again
Jiggerb

Post by Jiggerb »

Thanks, that explains it. Have to educate the salesmen on this, as was advised it was an option on this model and even tried it several times himself.
Thanks again
Moss

Post by Moss »

Jiggerb wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:15 pm Thanks, that explains it. Have to educate the salesmen on this, as was advised it was an option on this model and even tried it several times himself.
Thanks again
You’re welcome.

It is a little bit strange that your Volvo sales person seems to not know that kind of information, even if changing specific features every make year no doubt makes it hard for the sales people to keep track of what exactly is standard, pack or optional in every version of every model.

Anyway, those who have the handsfree tailgate opening/closing know that the « kick to open » foot technique requires a bit of practice. On her Volvo XC40 my wife has a 100 % success rate while mine is no more than half of that. Even if I do much better on my Audi Q7, my wife still beats me hands down there as well.

I guess it comes to no surprise that while it’s a must have for my wife and perhaps for women in general, I think it’s one of those features one can easily live without.
morganj

Post by morganj »

The foot dance for me works every time.

Medium speed foot forward motion and return directly under 2nd rear parking sensor. Followed by a step back.

Also works well if you fall backwards after the foot swing while lifting your dog. Ask me how I know 😂
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist