External Trim Fault? - Check yours now!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
K1t

Post by K1t »

Spotted this issue with the piano black 'B-Post' covers/trim om my 2019 R-Design XC40, as I was cleaning the car. Out of the 4 covers (2-rear of front doors and 2-front of rear doors) 3 have been affected, no idea why, but it looks, to me, like a 'stress' issue in the gloss surface coating? The dealer (TollBar Warwick) have taken a look and are suitably mistified! 3 new covers have been ordered for fitting early September under warranty (I did broach the question are you not ordering the set of 4? but was told Volvo will only replace the obviously defective ones, par for the dealer course, eh!) Still I`ve got 2 more years to go for the 4th one to fail! I hope my picture comes out for you all to see, due to bright sunshine and reflective, shiney black finish)

20-08-20 B-Post Cover Fault.JPG

XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)

morganj

Post by morganj »

Your signature mentions a ceramic coating on paint and trim. I would also contact the detailer who applied that. It may well be that that is cracking. (At least from looking at your picture)

If the coating is too thick on a flexible area that could happen as the trim under the coating can (could) flex more than the coating itself.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

K1t wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:24 pm Image

Spotted this issue with the piano black 'B-Post' covers/trim om my 2019 R-Design XC40, as I was cleaning the car. Out of the 4 covers (2-rear of front doors and 2-front of rear doors) 3 have been affected, no idea why, but it looks, to me, like a 'stress' issue in the gloss surface coating? The dealer (TollBar Warwick) have taken a look and are suitably mistified! 3 new covers have been ordered for fitting early September under warranty (I did broach the question are you not ordering the set of 4? but was told Volvo will only replace the obviously defective ones, par for the dealer course, eh!) Still I`ve got 2 more years to go for the 4th one to fail! I hope my picture comes out for you all to see, due to bright sunshine and reflective, shiney black finish)
I’m intrigued. The reflection of the rear of your phone says ‘I love my.......’
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
isvicthere

Post by isvicthere »

Dermottdog wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Looks like a picture of a white XC40 to my eyes. Link below...

https://www.redbubble.com/i/samsung-cas ... lYEALw_wcB
Last edited by isvicthere on Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

My money would also be on a cracking ceramic coating. That trim, being black plastic will expand/contract a lot - more than the coating can handle.

You're lucky the dealer is not clued up enough to recognise it. People who will part you with your money to apply said coatings are ten-a-penny. Those who have the skill to remove them are a very rare beast indeed.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
K1t

Post by K1t »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:54 pm My money would also be on a cracking ceramic coating. That trim, being black plastic will expand/contract a lot - more than the coating can handle.

You're lucky the dealer is not clued up enough to recognise it. People who will part you with your money to apply said coatings are ten-a-penny. Those who have the skill to remove them are a very rare beast indeed.
Mmmm, I`ll keep an open mind on that particular theory! The material and cracks look way too thick/deep to have been from solely an applied 'nano' (micro) surface treatment. Could be the panels o/e surface finish/Lacquer MAY have reacted in some way, but only in that one area, at the bottom of the panel, at the lowest point of flex, not convinced? My experienced detailer has confirmed to me that this phenomenon has Never happened with ANY of his, many, treated cars, some of which are incredibally expensive and rare, in all his years of experience. FYI, there are many black plastic trims/inserts all over the XC40 and they all have the same sealant/coating and are far more exposed to extreme tempurature variations, but nothing else has been effected in any way. BTW, why on earth would I want to remove this protection anyway? Its doing its job perfectly! Having said this and out of curiosity, come a day or so before the car goes in for its replacements I MAY consider taking a modelling knife blade to one of the splits and see just what comes adrift when tweeked......
XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)
K1t

Post by K1t »

isvicthere wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:51 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Looks like a picture of a white XC40 to my eyes. Link below...

https://www.redbubble.com/i/samsung-cas ... lYEALw_wcB
Thats the one (as link) 8-)
isvicthere

Post by isvicthere »

Sybil Fawlty:
And you're going to wear that jacket, are you?

Basil Fawlty:
You wouldn't understand, dear. It's called style.
K1t

Post by K1t »

isvicthere wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:35 pm Sybil Fawlty:
And you're going to wear that jacket, are you?

Basil Fawlty:
You wouldn't understand, dear. It's called style.
Well I like it :lol: just a bit of fun :P
K1t

Post by K1t »

Update to my original post on this subject...... I have now got my XC40 back from the local dealer (Toll Bar) after having 3 of the 4 cracked piano-black 'B ' post trims/covers replaced under warranty. They, kindly, allowed me to examine and photograph the obvious 'damage' images of which I have attached. The deep groves or 'witness' marks visible clearly show some excess pressure/abrasion issue, which appears to have of originated from the fit of the black (in my case) lower window trims/finishers. Either way we all agreed that it was nothing to do with any washing OR any applied paintwork treatments!

osf door rear edge trim.JPG

nsr door front edge trim.JPG

nsf door rear edge trim.JPG