windscreen cleaning

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

sorry if this topic has been covered before - a lot of pages listed under search on "windscreen", but how do you clean the very bottom of the windscreen inside?

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi. I put a bath towel across the whole dash. I then wash the inside of the screen with a dish cloth and washing up liquid in water. The bath towel catches any excess water. Wipe with a tea towel and buff/shine with another dry tea towel. And yes, the wife won’t be too pleased about you using a bath towel, a dish cloth and two tea towels.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Nat Ionalbusco

Post by Nat Ionalbusco »

papalimafoxtrot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:45 pm sorry if this topic has been covered before - a lot of pages listed under search on "windscreen", but how do you clean the very bottom of the windscreen inside?
With a slightly damp cloth.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I use this, it’s perfect for cleaning those hard to reach surfaces on the inside of the windshield

https://www.amazon.de/PEARL-Scheibenre ... 544&sr=8-1
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:41 pm I use this, it’s perfect for cleaning those hard to reach surfaces on the inside of the windshield

https://www.amazon.de/PEARL-Scheibenre ... 544&sr=8-1
That’s a good idea. Everything I’ve ever wanted to invent has already been invented...
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Nat Ionalbusco

Post by Nat Ionalbusco »

Seem awfully cheap. Don't they do a much more expensive Volvo branded version 😀.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

papalimafoxtrot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:45 pm sorry if this topic has been covered before - a lot of pages listed under search on "windscreen", but how do you clean the very bottom of the windscreen inside?
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But why do you need to clean it? Mine's 2 years old and have never cleaned the inside of the screen; once about every 5 years seems enough to me!.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

It’s mainly to do with the air con. As good as the filters are, fine dust will be blown onto the ‘screen by the fans. Even dust from the cabin being blown up. I clean mine using a similar tool to eugen61 The one I use is on a hinge so can get into the most difficult of spots.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

BionicRusty wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:01 pm It’s mainly to do with the air con. As good as the filters are, fine dust will be blown onto the ‘screen by the fans. Even dust from the cabin being blown up. I clean mine using a similar tool to eugen61 The one I use is on a hinge so can get into the most difficult of spots.
Mine has a hinge too, the head is pivoting in the desired direction when moved on the windshield. Very practical.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

balmoral wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:43 pm
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But why do you need to clean it? Mine's 2 years old and have never cleaned the inside of the screen; once about every 5 years seems enough to me!.
I'm with balmoral on this! I also cannot understand why people spend vast amounts of money on 'detailing' Its a car, they get dirty.