SIM card - again

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

Car running a treat. Anyway, thinking ahead, when my free sim runs out, how easy is the process to get a new p-sim up and running. I’ve not used anywhere near the free 100gb of data because of lockdown and just the 2 of us only using Spotify and satnav occasionally. I know the 3 Network are doing a 24gb card for £43 that lasts 2 years. It that the road people are going down? Will transitioning away from Vodafone to 3 by straightforward?
Comments welcome please.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

I never bothered with the free vodaphone sim. I got the 3 24gb 2 year sim at the start, this was so easy, just put the sim in the boot and that was it, worked straight away no messing.
I would recommend this option when yours runs out it’s easy. TBH I was put off using the vodaphone sim by all the hassle other guys on this forum had been having trying to get it up and running.
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Spider62 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 am I never bothered with the free vodaphone sim. I got the 3 24gb 2 year sim at the start, this was so easy, just put the sim in the boot and that was it, worked straight away no messing.
I would recommend this option when yours runs out it’s easy. TBH I was put off using the vodaphone sim by all the hassle other guys on this forum had been having trying to get it up and running.
Thanks. 100gb was never going to get used. How are you fairing with 24gb. Do you know if there’s a way to check how much data has actually been used?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:37 am
Spider62 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 am I never bothered with the free vodaphone sim. I got the 3 24gb 2 year sim at the start, this was so easy, just put the sim in the boot and that was it, worked straight away no messing.
Thanks. 100gb was never going to get used. How are you fairing with 24gb. Do you know if there’s a way to check how much data has actually been used?
You would.check the same way as any other SIM - telephone, data or otherwise. You would go to the 3 website, or whoever you obtain the SIM from, log in and look at the data used. It's just the same as any other SIM.

There is also a means via the Volvo's screen, but probably better to get the info direct from the network provider.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Randall Flagg wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 am
You would.check the same way as any other SIM - telephone, data or otherwise. You would go to the 3 website, or whoever you obtain the SIM from, log in and look at the data used. It's just the same as any other SIM.

There is also a means via the Volvo's screen, but probably better to get the info direct from the network provider.
👍
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Randall Flagg wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 am

I bought a Three data sim for a boat Wi Fi. Works great........except you can’t log into My.Three website as it wants to send you a password to the mobile number. No good when sim isn’t in a phone and my mobile is locked to Vodafone. If you go this way put the sim in a phone that’s unlocked first and get logged onto the app or website before putting it into car
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg »

Didn't work like that for me when I tried it. Can't remember exactly but it either send the number to the car, and it was visible.on screen or to a separate mobile.

For me I started off buying a 2 year 3 deal, and it worked fine and, as above, I could log on the internet to see useage. Then I found out about the free Volvo Vodafone offering which I use.

I kept the 2 year 3 SIM to use at the end of the Volvo 1 year deal, it will have a 24 GB and a year left when I come to use it.
Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg »

I've just logged onto Vodafone to see my Volvo useage, for the first time, it's the free 100 GB SIM. After 9 months of use I have 98.3 GB left !! Obviously I'm not a big user.

Certainly to log onto the Vodafone site to see the useage it sent a SMS to my separate mobile phone for logon validation
Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg »

Certainly won't be buying a Vodafone plan when my current one ends. £100/year or the "recommended" one is £20/month (wow! 240/year).
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Put a new 3 SIM in but no joy. It seems the new SIM is needed activation but unable to do so as the web site asks for a phone numberb as well as the SIM identification. The SIM package has the SIM ID but no number. Anyone has encountered similar issue and what is the solution. Thanks for the help. Ben