MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shan

Post by Shan »

Picked up my MY21 Recharge R Design Pro about a week ago and Just got around to trying to set up profiles and link to keys. As others here have said I’ve got 1 black and 1 orange key, and having the same problems. The car is fully loaded, and my wife (Who is considerably shorter than me) and I alternately use the car pretty much constantly. Having downsized from a Discovery 4 where we found the personal profiles a huge convenience, I am seriously annoyed that I cannot set them in the same way.

I only discovered this forum today, if I had found it before I bought the car I would have insisted on clarification. I will be complaining to the dealer (who still owe me a tow bar, and are still trying to sell me a service plan after I got GAP insurance for literally a third of the price they wanted)

Does anyone have a screenshot of where it says the orange key is full functionality + the speed limit option?

Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Please also see the tweet from Volvo UK in the post above ⬆️
I’m new here and not sure how to add an image.

The care key is advised as having the same functionality as the black key. If it doesn’t, then it must be faulty.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Shan

Post by Shan »

So looking in the MY21 manual I found this:

"The key is linked to a special Care Key driver profile, and when it is active, the key's settings cannot be changed. It is not possible to change to another driver profile either; this requires a normal remote control key."

I am fuming.

As far as I can tell they have added a section "Limitations of the Care Key" including the above comment to the section linked in the earlier post.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

I’ve read this too Shan. It’s one of the reasons I got in touch with Volvo. The response I got proves, as is usually the case, that the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.
I know that I’m going to get one real key plus one that, basically, opens the doors, and acts as a performance limiter in operation.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

Does anybody know if the user profiles can be assigned to the seats via a button press? Mine is a company car so I will use 90% of the time, but as long as we can program settings for my wife I'm sure that would do for us.

Lol, maybe I should Dr Google first, it would appear so

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... or-mirrors

meh, that will do for me :roll:
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

I have just received the following statement via Twitter from Volvo UK.

Hello Wayne.
From the start of MY21, all Volvo cars are now supplied with one standard key and one Care key. To help support Volvo’s aim to improve traffic safety, the Care Key is able to modify and restrict the top speed, a unique feature reserved for this key. With this inclusion of an additional key, and in order to not increase the vehicle price of every car, one of the standard keys was removed to make way for this new feature. If a customer wishes to attach an additional driver profile to another key, they are able to do this by purchasing a second standard key in addition to those supplied as standard.[/url]

Kind regards,
Volvo Team UK
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
RichardXC

Post by RichardXC »

BionicRusty wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am I have just received the following statement via Twitter from Volvo UK.

Hello Wayne.
From the start of MY21, all Volvo cars are now supplied with one standard key and one Care key. To help support Volvo’s aim to improve traffic safety, the Care Key is able to modify and restrict the top speed, a unique feature reserved for this key. With this inclusion of an additional key, and in order to not increase the vehicle price of every car, one of the standard keys was removed to make way for this new feature. If a customer wishes to attach an additional driver profile to another key, they are able to do this by purchasing a second standard key in addition to those supplied as standard.[/url]

Kind regards,
Volvo Team UK
This is just absolutely nuts - and confirms my belief that the Product Managers have no idea how their products are actually used in real life.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

Yet another rip-off by a car manufacturer. The manufacturing cost of a remote key has to be less than £10, once the development cost of the initial system design has been covered within the purchase cost of the car, and the cost of buying a replacement or an extra one is unbelievable.

I've heard of vehicle circuit boards where a replacement from the manufacturer can cost in excess of £1000, even though the actual manufacturing is done in large batches for a tiny individual cost.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Yeah it is ridiculous.
I’m not sure of the cost of a new key but I do know that Volvo charge £175 just for a key fob shell!
As I’ve said previously, there’s going to be lots of MY21 cars sold/returned to lease companies with no key, just a care key. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver