Electric power - not blameless after all...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

We are told and encouraged to buy electric. Turns out it creates different issues. Until we abandon the car altogether and walk everywhere, we are still having (or in the case of electric cars, will have) a massive negative effect on our planet.

I don’t have an answer but it makes me feel a tad easier and less like the bad guy knowing that going electric isn’t without significant risks to our planet too🙁

1F5BBD58-7B7E-406F-90DC-6EF73A026742.png

4F19DC74-72B1-41F1-91B9-714C9CE6B37E.png

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Not pleasant reading. I don't see battery cars as the answer..not that I'm sure what the answer is!

You're right that unless it is our body energy then generally energy has to be manufactured in some way to transport us.

I see JLR have been awarded c£70M to explore hydrogen fuel cell technology. Think I read the other day that Hydrogen can be extracted from methane from waste and not just from electrolysis.

When it comes to fuels there are so many vested interests it's really hard to know whether what you read is true, a balanced opinion, or the opinion of someone who has either a vested interested or been influenced by someone who does.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deleted User 2484

Post by Deleted User 2484 »

I like the sound of a good petrol engine.

But I bought a T4
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I’ve always thought the hydrogen fuel cell was a better solution than the current electric car but from what I’ve read it’s really only suited to larger vehicles so would work best for lorries and buses rather than the private car.
Even with the electric car, the tree huggers complain about brake and tyre dust so the only acceptable solution seems to be the horse and cart.

All the electric car seems to do is slow down the time it takes for us to kill off the planet.
Or maybe it will take the same time, but just by a different route!
I’m having a cynical Sunday! 😂😂