Creaking in the heat

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

Went out in the car today. After driving for 15 minutes, the interior plastic started creaking. I suspect it was cooling down because of the A/C. Never had this before in any previous cars I’ve owned. The temperature read 38 degrees so it was very hot.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

UTC

Post by UTC »

In this heat I like the way you can activate the Parking Climate facility and cool down the car before you get into it. Best to activate it 15 to 30 mins before you get in. Wary of the battery use though, but no problems so far.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

UTC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 pm In this heat I like the way you can activate the Parking Climate facility and cool down the car before you get into it. Best to activate it 15 to 30 mins before you get in. Wary of the battery use though, but no problems so far.
Yes, I did that yesterday but it didn’t make a whole lot of difference. I think in the future, if it’s a Really hot day, I might try a remote start. The A/C will kick in and cool the the car down.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

I've never noticed my XC40 doing that and I've been in some pretty ho weather in Arizona with it. I used to own one of the Pontiac mini vans that had a plastic body built a while back. That thing would creek and groan when driving in cold weather and really hot weather.
UTC

Post by UTC »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:36 pm
UTC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 pm In this heat I like the way you can activate the Parking Climate facility and cool down the car before you get into it. Best to activate it 15 to 30 mins before you get in. Wary of the battery use though, but no problems so far.
Yes, I did that yesterday but it didn’t make a whole lot of difference. I think in the future, if it’s a Really hot day, I might try a remote start. The A/C will kick in and cool the the car down.
Works a treat with mine. Have the climate control set to 21. Activated Parking Climate and it was nice and cool when I got in. Just what in needed.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:00 pm Hey

Went out in the car today. After driving for 15 minutes, the interior plastic started creaking. I suspect it was cooling down because of the A/C. Never had this before in any previous cars I’ve owned. The temperature read 38 degrees so it was very hot.
Happens with mine, but usually just in the very first few minutes.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Hi, I have had my Momentum Pro for nearly 4 months now and started noticing creaking noise from dashboard plastics in fact I have pinned it down to the plastic that area that houses the only buttons on the dash. Now haven't really made a note if this is worse in the heat but was going to bring this up with the dealership on free 3k check.