SOS Button

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
squint

Post by squint »

DarrenF - what and why were you asking dealer?
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

squint wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:56 am Hi Moss
That’s a very reasonable explanation.

However, my car has now been at dealership since 11/5/20. Volvo - apparently it’s been escalated to Sweden - do not know the reason and have no idea when they will.
I had until last Friday also been assured only my car was affected. I kept asking why a network problem would only affect one car when all checks in the car show no reason for it but never received an explanation.
I can’t make outgoing calls on my own phone when SOS button is activated- which should also happen if airbags inflated.
Even if Volvo are blaming the network - I have no idea if the network is all of UK or separate areas - surely it could be fixed in less than a month?
I consider this to be a major safety problem.
I would have thought Volvo have a moral - I am waiting to find out if a legal - duty to inform all owners who may be potentially affected that they may not be able to use their phone to dial 999 if the situation arose.
I know this has been done to death but can I ask a question. Early on it was stated that a mobile couldn’t been used either. How is connected (no pun intended) to the car making calls?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
squint

Post by squint »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:38 am

However, my car has now been at dealership since 11/5/20. Volvo - apparently it’s been escalated to Sweden - do not know the reason and have no idea when they will.
I had until last Friday also been assured only my car was affected. I kept asking why a network problem would only affect one car when all checks in the car show no reason for it but never received an explanation.
I can’t make outgoing calls on my own phone when SOS button is activated- which should also happen if airbags inflated.
Even if Volvo are blaming the network - I have no idea if the network is all of UK or separate areas - surely it could be fixed in less than a month?
I would have thought Volvo have a moral - I am waiting to find out if a legal - duty to inform all owners who may be potentially affected that they may not be able to use their phone to dial 999 if the situation arose.
I know this has been done to death but can I ask a question. Early on it was stated that a mobile couldn’t been used either. How is connected (no pun intended) to the car making calls?
Sorry - not sure if I understand the question. My personal phone is connected via bluetooth.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
Deleted User 2663

Post by Deleted User 2663 »

If all else fails read the manual. These are all copy/paste quotes from the Volvo manual. The manual is available to all via the Volvo support website. It comes in a hyperlinked web version or a PDF version. The page numbers referred are the PDF version page numbers.

Automatic collision alarm with Volvo On Call
Page 7
If a collision occurs, the car reports this automatically to a Volvo On Call service centre, or closest emergency call centre, which can send out emergency assistance.

Page 7
When the car's safety system is triggered, e.g. in an accident in which the activation level is reached for the seatbelt tensioner or airbags, a signal will be automatically sent to a Volvo On Call service centre. The following will occur: 1. A message, containing car position, etc., is sent automatically from the car to a Volvo On Call service centre. 2. The Volvo On Call Service Centre then establishes verbal contact with the car's driver and tries to find out the extent of the collision and the need for help. 3. The Volvo On Call Service Centre then contacts the necessary assistance (police, ambulance, towing, etc.). If verbal contact cannot be established, the Volvo On Call Service Centre contacts the relevant authorities that assist with appropriate action.

Emergency assistance with Volvo On Call
Page 8
To summon help in case of illness, external threats to the car or passengers, a Volvo On Call service centre can be alerted manually by depressing the SOS button for at least 2 seconds. A Volvo On Call service centre is notified, advised of the car's position and attempts to establish verbal contact with the driver to agree on the type of assistance required. If verbal contact cannot be established, the Volvo On Call Service Centre contacts the necessary assistance (police, ambulance, recovery, etc.) to help with the appropriate action.

Page 17 onwards
Is a list of all the service centre numbers for relevant counties
e.g. dialling in home country UK 0800 587 9848, dialling from abroad +44 20 860 39 848

Prioritising between Volvo On Call service centre and emergency call
Page 20

Choose whether the car should phone the Volvo On Call service centre or the emergency call centre in an emergency. In cars with Volvo On Call, it is possible to set whether the car should contact a Volvo On Call service centre or the public emergency call centre when the automatic collision alarm is triggered or when the SOS button is pressed. The car's factory setting is to primarily contact a Volvo On Call service centre. To change this: 1. Press Settings in the top view in the centre display. 2. Press Communication Volvo On Call. 3. Select Prioritise public call center over Volvo call center if you want to contact the public emergency call centre directly.

Page 4
The SOS button must only be used in the event of accident, illness or an external threat against the car and its passengers. The SOS function is only intended for emergency situations. Abuse may lead to supplementary charges. The Volvo On Call app and ON CALL button can be used for all other services3, including roadside assistance.
squint

Post by squint »

Thank you Captain Obvious.

I am fully aware of everything you have posted - yet the problem still occurs.

Dealership have now had my car 28 days - neither they nor Volvo - and apparently Volvo in Sweden - can fix it.
Deleted User 2663

squint wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 am Thank you Captain Obvious.

I am fully aware of everything you have posted - yet the problem still occurs.

Dealership have now had my car 28 days - neither they nor Volvo - and apparently Volvo in Sweden - can fix it.
That's great, although I wasn't particularly responding to any of your posts. There was talk of who the SOS button dials - emergency services or Volvo call centre, and what telephone number it dials; I was responding to those questions.

If you did indeed ask any of those questions then I suppose my post is relevant to you, but I didn't make a mental note of who said what.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

squint wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:16 am

Sorry - not sure if I understand the question. My personal phone is connected via bluetooth.
Ok. So what I’m asking is about the relationship between the car dialling an emergency call and your own phone. So, the SOS button is pressed and the Bluetooth function prevents you calling out? Surely the car and Bluetooth are stand alone entities?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
squint

Post by squint »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:26 am

Ok. So what I’m asking is about the relationship between the car dialling an emergency call and your own phone. So, the SOS button is pressed and the Bluetooth function prevents you calling out? Surely the car and Bluetooth are stand alone entities?
Couldn't agree more.
Deleted User 2663

squint wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 am
Couldn't agree more.

I may have missed earlier posts, so apologies if I've missed something, when you switched off the bluetooth on your phone did that not restore the ability to make a call directly via the phone?
squint

Post by squint »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:49 am
squint wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 am

Couldn't agree more.

I may have missed earlier posts, so apologies if I've missed something, when you switched off the bluetooth on your phone did that not restore the ability to make a call directly via the phone?
Please see my reply to DarrenF yesterday at 3.13pm