Whinges + more buttons and knobs please......

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I've been driving my XC40 for 5 months now (after a high end Audi Q3) It's great but........ initially I thought the big touchscreen was fabulous, but now I wish car designers would think a bit more about what driver actually need...

OK, try changing the Aircon temperature when your driving, pretty much a common thing - tap, tap, scroll, left hand (I'm RH) , eyes off road? Basically it's unsafe until you at least slow down, or stop at lights. Audi Q3 had big easily locatable knobs

Entertainment? radio/ Too much eyes off road to change just about anything. e.g. FM / DAB/ channel etc. Not only that, the touchscreen needs several taps to respond. Spotify? Too dangerous to change settings unless under 10mph......

More whinges:
No engine temperature gauge
No headlamp on indicator
Recessed Seat belt buckle tricky for arthritic passenger
Central locking switch should be in centre console (so passenger can lock doors when driver gets out )

Why not have some knob/buttons which can be assigned by software to perform what the driver wants? e.g. up/down aircon temp?

Great car, but needs fine tuning

Charles

aj05

Post by aj05 »

Hi Charles whats wrong with using voice commands my xc40 aircon and radio work well using this give it a try think you may find it cures your problems and that Volvo designers are not as bad as you think
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

aj05 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:26 pm Hi Charles whats wrong with using voice commands my xc40 aircon and radio work well using this give it a try think you may find it cures your problems and that Volvo designers are not as bad as you think
Absolutely!!
I found lots and lots of reviews mention the central screen and how you have to take your eyes off the road. They don’t even give the voice commands the time of day. The voice commands are pretty comprehensive. Press the voice button and say ‘I’m cold’ or ‘I’m hot’. The temp alters by one degree. If you need more than one degree, press the voice button and say ‘CLIMATE’ and then ask the system to go to the temperature you desire. Same with radio, heated screen, seat heaters, rear screen etc, etc....
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Yes, voice control is excellent

Don't even have to say Climate first, just say Increase temperature to 21 or whatever, Turn on air conditioning, play All the Young Dudes by Mott The Hoople etc.
Oh just given the reason for my tag away 😁
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.