Loss Of Sound Outputs

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Sven

Post by Sven »

Hi all

I hope all are well and managing to exercise our vehicles. On a trip out yesterday in our XC40 (delivered March 19) we parked the car after a trip of around 9p0 minutes (so battery erc in good nick) and after restarting the car (switched off for about 20 mins) found that the sound outputs to the speakers from all of the cars systems (indicators, radio, satnav, parking sensors and everything else that makes a sound for indication or other purposes) did not output to the speakers, instead the speakers made a loud crackling sound each time a sound output was expected (so for instance when indicators going at each flash, instead of the normal indicator sound there'd be an uncomfortable 'CRACKLE' sound). Aside from that all of the systems in the car were working ok. We're putting the car in for service on 3 June so my intent was to take a video of this effect and send it to the garage to prepare them for fishing it. However after we'd parked the car up for a couple of hours (sorry Welsh/Scottish friends we are allowed out like this now, hopefully you will be too soon) when we restarted the car all was well again: the system was providing sound info as normal. While it's good it's 'reverted' back to proper operation, I'm concerned that this will happen again and want it explored, investigated, but sadly I didn't get to video the problem. Given that it was the sound indications only I was wondering if it was a sound processing unit or similar that might have failed, but as it's now 'normal' again, I'm wondering if it was perhaps a dodgey connection. I'm hoping to get the garage to invistigate, but I can already hear the inevitable....'plugged the laptop in and No Fault Found sir!....' so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience of this on their XC40 and if so what the problem was and how was it resolved.

Cheers all
Tony
2019 XC40 D4 Inscription Auto 4WD

squint

Post by squint »

Did you have a phone or anything else connected whether by cable or Bluetooth at the same time?
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
algrey

Post by algrey »

hH, Had the same problem. Did return to normal(ish) but dealer diagnosed a problem with , I think , the audio system and carried out a restore to the system which sorted the problem. Been ok for 6 months now . Take it to the dealer and get them to resolve.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Thanks Algrey, will let them know before we take it in for the service, which includes a software update if that's the problem. As regards phone connection, a phone was connected via bluetooth, but I don't see why that should cause such a problem as it hasn't before and a connection via bluetooth is almost always on when we're out, unless squint you know of a specific issue?

Cheers
2019 XC40 D4 Inscription Auto 4WD
squint

Post by squint »

Sven wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:31 pm Thanks Algrey, will let them know before we take it in for the service, which includes a software update if that's the problem. As regards phone connection, a phone was connected via bluetooth, but I don't see why that should cause such a problem as it hasn't before and a connection via bluetooth is almost always on when we're out, unless squint you know of a specific issue?

Cheers
On iPhones version 13.4.1 was causing various problems with volume button - 13.5
has just been released which apparently has solved problem - just wondered if might be related.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
kersh

Post by kersh »

Yes I had the same issue which also resolved itself, I reported it to the dealer who did some sort of system reset. Since then I have had no issues.
elecquin

Post by elecquin »

I had the same issue - one time the wipers stopped working!
They replaced a module on top of the steering wheel to rectify
Smig60

Post by Smig60 »

Hi Tony had the same problem the sound crackled then didnt work at all then int fault
The sound module on a 2018-9 is under the drivers seat you cant miss it from the back of the front drivers seat
Unplug the unit and strip out the circuit board held in by torx head screws
I basically found the board was damp for some reason so i blew the circuit board out then completely sprayed with wd40 then wiped all the board both sides took my time doing
It ,it came like new i then blew away the wd40 then wiped again ,rebuilt the unit in reverse pluging all the plugs except the power lead which is the thick cables with 2 wires once the other plugs were connected i plugged the power lead in ,started the car and this sorted the fault had no issues since and that was 3 years ago hope this helps