Lockdown Fuel Prices

The place to discuss everything else..
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

squint wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 pm
squint wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:05 pm
WelshRobin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:54 pm I agree with Skyrimmer and another plus point is that Shell offset the carbon released from their premium V-Power by funding an equivalent carbon capture by tree planting. Drive with just a little less guilt about global warming!
By how much your fuel economy increase?

In what way do you notice a change in performance?
Cannot really comment on the fuel economy increase as I have only ever used V power or Tesco momentum, however I am averaging well over 40 mpg each trip and this seems higher than others with same engine have quoted.
Again performance wise I have none of the hesitations or rough acceleration others have reported.
So its circumstantial evidence at best but good enough for me to carry on using it.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.

Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I used regular petrol in my 1st edition edition for the first 3 months, then swapped to premium for 3 months, the only difference I found was in my wallet !!!
So I have used regular since.
T5 First edition Crystal White
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Skyrimmer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm
squint wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 pm
squint wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:05 pm

By how much your fuel economy increase?

In what way do you notice a change in performance?
Cannot really comment on the fuel economy increase as I have only ever used V power or Tesco momentum, however I am averaging well over 40 mpg each trip and this seems higher than others with same engine have quoted.
Again performance wise I have none of the hesitations or rough acceleration others have reported.
So its circumstantial evidence at best but good enough for me to carry on using it.
I only use the premium higher rated fuel as well. I also find my fuel economy is higher than others on here (before lockdown I was averaging over 32 mpg in a T5 with mainly short journeys and urban driving.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Without a properly set up trial arrangement, it is impossible to know whether claims of better fuel consumption are correct, but today's comment in the Honest John website seems to confirm general impressions that the premium fuels are worth the extra cost. A reply to an enquirer reads "What you could also try is using more premium fuel - like Shell or BP rather than supermarket fuel. We get reports from some readers that this improves fuel economy". Also, I think it is reasonable to trust the claim by Shell that this fuel has more sophisticated additives that will provide better lubrication and protection from wear than standard fuel.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

All the independent tests that I have seen agree it improves fuel economy but not by enough to outweigh the extra cost. I seem to remember that both Which and What Car came to this conclusion but I don't have the details now. I have never bothered for this reason.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

About 6-7 years ago I was doing a journey every night for several months to and from a work site 110 miles away with 95 miles of the journey on motorways. I was driving a works car with cruise control so decided to finally see which was the better option for Diesel fuel. I tried Tesco supermarket baic diesel and the Tesco premium diesel and the shell basic and premium fuels.

By the end of the job I worked out Tesco's gave a lot more points on the premium diesel which saved me more money than any of the other brand or fuel types. They were giving me double points!

For fuel economy (not an accurate test I know but each type at least 2 full tanks so it was as good as I could get it) the Supermarket fuel was the worst, then the esso normal fuel then the premium fuels with esso winning. When I did the math on prices back then it was not worth the money if you just went on £ pr mile.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

What he said ^
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:56 pm What he said ^
I'll take 2 please!
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Nice to see Stanley Unwin's Chinese brother on the site!
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

None of the comments above make sense now the spam has been removed - reads as random people going mental in Lockdown lol