What have you just found out about your XC40.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 2490

Post by Deleted User 2490 »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:52 pm
ThunderGrey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:26 pm
WelshRobin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:48 am My solution to washing the car roof is to use a folding step-up from Screwfix (easier to move around than a step ladder) and a soft water-fed car wash brush from Hoselock which has a 70cm pole. This has a detergent dispenser which can be turned on or off as required so it can be used for an initial rinse, soap and final rinse. I can just about reach the centre of the roof for final drying by hand.
Check these websites: https://www.hozelock.com/product/medium-car-brush-plus/
https://www.screwfix.com/p/polypropylen ... grey/5076p
Yes, good products. I used both or similar items for the past few months. Now use neither, just open the doors and step up on the sill. I use a sponge.
No, no, no!!!!

The 101 of cleaning a car is never, ever use a sponge. Things have moved on a tad. A lambs wool mit is a must. A sponge was how cars were washed in the early eighties. Now since your stuck in a time warp, go inside and pour yourself a glass of Blue Nun😂😂
Even Blue Nun's not what it was; they changed the type of wine!!

No I don't drink it ! Funnily enough I do think the last time I had it was early 80s.

I'm more of a Picpoul type of drinker these days. Still use a sponge though (not for the wine, to wash the car 😀).

Not really into washing cars, after this honeymoon period it'll be back to washing up liquid and a wet sponge.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

ThunderGrey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:52 pm
ThunderGrey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:26 pm

Yes, good products. I used both or similar items for the past few months. Now use neither, just open the doors and step up on the sill. I use a sponge.
No, no, no!!!!

The 101 of cleaning a car is never, ever use a sponge. Things have moved on a tad. A lambs wool mit is a must. A sponge was how cars were washed in the early eighties. Now since your stuck in a time warp, go inside and pour yourself a glass of Blue Nun😂😂
Even Blue Nun's not what it was; they changed the type of wine!!

No I don't drink it ! Funnily enough I do think the last time I had it was early 80s.

I'm more of a Picpoul type of drinker these days. Still use a sponge though (not for the wine, to wash the car 😀).

Not really into washing cars, after this honeymoon period it'll be back to washing up liquid and a wet sponge.
Washing up liquid and a sponge! Don’t forget if you have a stubborn bit of birds muck on the roof, a Brillo Pad works a treat😜
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Deleted User 2490

Post by Deleted User 2490 »

You joke, but I've found those white sponge bath cleaners do work a treat on stubborn insect stains and spots, especially on the front bumper.

Not the green dish cleaners but the smoother, guaranteed not to scratch your bath, white ones.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

ThunderGrey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:00 pm You joke, but I've found those white sponge bath cleaners do work a treat on stubborn insect stains and spots, especially on the front bumper.

Not the green dish cleaners but the smoother, guaranteed not to scratch your bath, white ones.
Reading your comments has triggered my car washing brain big time. :D

Its giving me a cold sweat just thinking about using one of them sponges on my car. :o
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

It’s not the bath cleaner pad that might damage the paint, it is the grit in the hardened bird dropping if you drag it over the surface. I have found it helpful to soak a couple of sheets of (soft) loo paper in water and mould it into a mushy lump, then stick it on the dropping and leave it there for long enough to make the deposit soft and wipeable without needing to use any pressure. Of course, if you have to treat several spots you will find that passers-by look puzzled and keep a cautious distance from this odd vehicle and its peculiar owner.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Playing around with the different drive modes, I pulled up the instantaneous fuel consumption window and was surprised to find that in Comfort mode, the MPG quickly reaches 99.9 on a trailing throttle or on the overrun. Much quicker in fact than when coasting in Eco mode.

Kind of makes sense as most (all?) modern engines have a fuel cut off facility on the overrun, but I hadn't appreciated that more fuel would be used while coasting.

Which begs the question, why have a coasting facility??
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Just found out that a long press on the lock / unlock on the key fob opens / closes all the windows and sun roof. Discovered when I pressed the wrong button on the key fob whilst trying to open the boot e.g. long press on the boot button.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Following my software update a couple of weeks ago I have just noticed the symbol at the top of the centre display to show you your phone is charging has changed. Its no longer the same as the symbol on the charging mat which is annoying. N.B. Only apparent if you have wireless charging.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

72 dudes wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:31 pm Which begs the question, why have a coasting facility??
Just basic physics.

Yes, a coasting engine is still using a small amount of fuel to maintain idle BUT, it will coast for a very long distance (as opposed to your engine on overrun which will slow quickly and therefore require use of the accelerator to get going again).

Good point, though. Eco mode does require lots of forward planning before it yields any significant benefits (no brakes if possible - touch of accelerator to re-engage if brake dab unavoidable).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
PreservedKillick

Post by PreservedKillick »

Just discovered this pocket in the passenger side.

92D50A82-FD7F-424E-8606-5BCFBE512E41.jpeg

Phone holder sun glasses?
XC40 T5 R Design Pro AWD Polestar