Electrical socket installation

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Hey all,

The arrival of my T5 phev is finally near (around two weeks).

I live in an apartment building and will park the car on my parking spot which doesn’t have a power socket.

As such to deal with the charging I’m requesting some quotes to have my unused power sockets “pulled” from my private storage room to the parking spot (measured around 12meters). Inside my private storage room I already have a power distribution board and two unused power sockets.

So far it seemed like I only had to do the “pulling” of one power socket. Buuuut I’m getting quotes for installing a new power distribution board with THE EXACT SAME SPECS. And this is being quoted as required!

Is anybody here able to double check this request from the quoting persons?

I’m attaching some pics to help my description

Kind regards

C7911AF9-23BC-4ACB-9993-F81AA0989217.jpeg

2C7333EA-3364-4926-8EE2-EA3A47FED4AD.jpeg

71629E9F-D629-4084-A966-4F40B40EBD8F.jpeg

T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus

MoosePT

Post by MoosePT »

Hello lfpcorreia,

I'm in a similar situation and the only thing that I've done was to install a socket near my parking spot and pull the power from my storage room. Nobody told me about changing the distribution board... nevertheless, the building is quite recent (2015) so I believe the electrical setup is updated. Don't know if it has something to do with it or not.

Abraço,
João
Inscription T5 TwEn in Onyx Black - Business Pro Pack, Park Assist Pack, Fog Lights - Order placed: September 2019 // Delivery Date: April 3rd 2020
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Hi again Moose :)

This requirement comes from the company Volvo is hiring to (freely) certify the electrical installation for home charging. (Nice right? ;) )

My construction is also very recent >2012.

Although not a electrician I can't justify this requirement as the new breaker box would be connected to the existing one (which would not be upgraded in any way).. Isn't it kinda "stupid"?!

Regards!

PS: is yours still on time?
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Where are you based? Regulations change by country. What king of socket are you wanting to put at the parking space? A proper EV charger, or a standard socket (13A in the UK).

Because of the draw from the car, you can’t put it as part of the socket ring in the house, it needs its own feed from the consumer unit.

It looks like you’ve got space in the consumer unit to add a breaker.

If you’re using a proper EV charger (and would highly recommend you do) there are special earthing requirements which can make the installation much more complicated, but as well as charging the vat quicker, it’s also a lot safer.

I’m not an electrician, so can’t go into the full details for home installations, but I do work in the industry.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

I think I’ve sorted it out.

They were trying to up sell stuff... I’ve discussed the quote and they threw a lot of “ohh I didn’t understand this” and “I thought this instead of that”...

In the end, no additional breaker box, just a new outlet and breaker. Unfortunately they only took 80€ out of the total final amount. So they won’t get the job..

And this is from a company Volvo is paying for Certifying my electrical installation... (they offered me this..)

Very unfortunate... and paints a somewhat weird picture for Volvo... as other certified companies are giving me quotes for 1/3 of the price..
MoosePT

Post by MoosePT »

Hello lfpcorreia,

I was finding this a bit strange at least. Glad you sorted it out!

Mine is already in PT, dealer said that he asked for a plate already and I should have news during this week. I'm not 100% sure that I will get the car this week due to the covid19 outbreak but lets see. I'll keep you posted :)

What about yours?

Cheers,
Joao
Inscription T5 TwEn in Onyx Black - Business Pro Pack, Park Assist Pack, Fog Lights - Order placed: September 2019 // Delivery Date: April 3rd 2020