What have you just found out about your XC40.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Have had our T4 Inscription for 8 days now and loving it!
1). Ours has the wee bin, think they might have lost yours!?
2) Rain sensor seems to be working as expected in ours.
3). Yes would have liked adaptive cruise control too but it was an expensive option as part of the pilot assist pack.

Loving the Volvo app and the assigning of mileage after every trip. Discovered today how to send a destination from my phone straight to the car's satnav and it works a treat.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.

Sps1999

Post by Sps1999 »

I found out that the cargo area underneath the folding floor is not a good place to store rugs. Got them out the other day and they were soaking wet. I had driven in rain, but it wasn’t for long, but I’m presuming water from the wheels sprays up and the area is not water tight
Deleted User 2558

Post by Deleted User 2558 »

I would think that the area should be watertight; it's inside the car for goodness' sake!

I'd take the car back to the dealer and report the issue.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Sps1999 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm I found out that the cargo area underneath the folding floor is not a good place to store rugs. Got them out the other day and they were soaking wet. I had driven in rain, but it wasn’t for long, but I’m presuming water from the wheels sprays up and the area is not water tight
That's where I keep my rugs and driven through some awful rain in the last couple of months and they are still very dry.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

olderbutnotwiser wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 pm Just taken delivery of my T3 inscription, on Saturday.

3 things I found out :-

1 / There is no wee handy bin thing in the center console ( is that a cost saving ? )
2 / The auto wipers are very low sensitivity. even at full "raindrops" the wipers won't go on a continuous wipe.
3 / Although the car will avoid a collision and try and steer round a potential accident, the cruise control doesn't have adaptive distance control.

Loving it apart from that. :)
2 is correlated to rain amount AND speed; so if you're stationary, they'll barely wipe, whilst if you do 70 on a motorway they'll run so fast you'll think they're going to fall off!
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

ciuncky wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:22 pm
2 is correlated to rain amount AND speed; so if you're stationary, they'll barely wipe, whilst if you do 70 on a motorway they'll run so fast you'll think they're going to fall off!
Hardly "correlated"! They seem quite unpredictable, sometimes scraping away like mad on a dry screen and at other times going to sleep when it's virtually impossible to see what's ahead - and it's not directly correlated to speed although there appears to be some (random) connection. I complained when the car went in for its 3-month check but the dealer didn't find anything wrong. After fiddling endlessly with the sensitivity settings whenever it rains, I've given up and use the manual settings now.

When rain sensitive wipers first appeared many years ago they worked perfectly - and they were not linked to road speed - but the sensor systems used today seem to be nothing like as good (cost saving?) and my XC40 is the worst I've experienced.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
Deleted User 2558

I find the wipers "connection", (can't spell correlated) to speed to be not that bad.

However why oh why is the rain sensor not connected to the dipped beam sensor. My previous VW had a sensor that when it rained both the wipers started to wipe and the lights switched on to dipped beam.

The Volvo's wipers and lights are completely disconnected. It rains and the wipers start but the lights only come on when the ambient light lowers - two separate systems.

And to compound the situation when the lights do come on there's no indication on the dashboard that they are on.

So when it rains in daylight conditions I'm forced to switch on the dipped beam by hand.

Something that my 2002 VW handled entirely automatically.
PreservedKillick

Post by PreservedKillick »

I noticed in a reflection from a shop window, that the white ‘Hammer’ running lights turn yellow when indicating.

The rear wheel arches have small ‘winglets’.

The tyres are Pirelli P Zero where I expected then to be Pirelli Scorpions.
XC40 T5 R Design Pro AWD Polestar
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I am disappointed with the SatNav settings. There seems to be no way to re-name the saved destination. I visit several places in Norfolk from time to time and I can't immediately identify them by postcode. Am I missing something? This was a straightforward option in my V40 which I believe used the same software and mapping source.
Deleted User 2558

Simply go to Set Destination, Click on Library, click on the item you want to change. Then when further details of that item show click on Edit Position at bottom of screen. Press the X next to the current name and type in your preferred name. Click Confirm and Confirm etc to leave the edit.