Side Mirror Indicator Lights

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Hanekom

Post by Hanekom »

Hi Everyone - I have the R Design XC40. I noted when passing another R-Design, when the driver indicated, an indicator light flashed on the side of the the mirror casing, (i.e. not inside the mirror), visible to the driver, i.e. the light is on the driver side, not the oncoming traffic side. (The part facing oncoming traffic does also flash, which is normal) My car indicated like this once or twice, but never again. I went to Volvo dealership who advised, if the car has blind spot mirror support, the indicator (I mentioned before) will not work. This makes no sense, as it worked in another Volvo I saw and I do not see the relevance of blind spot and this indicator light to work together. Can anyone please shed some light on this.
Many Thanks - Albert

Deleted User 2558

Post by Deleted User 2558 »

I have a MY2020 RDesign, it does not have the BLIS warning system. It also does not have any indication within the mirror housing of the indicators flashing. The flashing indicator is on the opposite side of the mirror and is not visible to the driver.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Could the other driver have had his mirrors power folded giving the impression the light was in a different place?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Hanekom

Post by Hanekom »

The housing of the mirror has a tiny light on the right bottom side of the housing - I was travelling one night and noted it did actually flash on my car, that was when I started to investigate this. A few days later I saw another R-Design and the lights definitely flashed, the car actually made a left and right turn and it worked. I noted then (as example) BMW has the same light on the side of their mirrors. I find it strange that Volvo would have built this into the mirror housing but for it not to be activated, as this is a nice feature to see when you turn and indicate that you have actually used indicators - good safety reminder. Thanks for the feedback..
Deleted User 2558

As I mentioned previously, my car is a MY2020 T4 AWD and it does not have the BLIS system.

It does NOT have any light within the mirror housing ie nothing facing the driver. It does not have a tiny light on the right bottom side of the housing. All external indicators are facing away from the driver.

My previous car, a VW, did have a light facing the driver, it was a small extension of the front facing LED strip which wrapped around slightly. Useful to check that the indicators are on. But for me the sound of the indicators is more than enough to tell me that they are active.

If you have BLIS the warning that something is coming on from behind if you are changing lane is a high intensity flash from the BLIS light within the housing. Are you confusing what you have seen with the BLIS light? If something is approaching directly from behind and you are not changing lane the BLIS light is static.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey
Pictures speak a thousand words. Take a picture of your mirror and highlight exactly where the light came from. I will then have a look at my R-Design. Also, you haven’t confirmed one way or the other if you have BLIS fitted to your car. Incidentally, I don’t have BLIS either.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Hanekom

Post by Hanekom »

Thanks, will take a pic and let you know - BTW I have BLIS fitted.
Deleted User 2558

If you have BLIS and you indicate right or left and if there is a car coming up behind you the BLIS indicator light will flash. Why would you want another light to flash in the same position at the same time? That's why the BLIS light and this light that you mention you have are incompatible.

Interesting to see the picture of this light that your RDesign has.
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

Ok, when washing the car today I thought I’d have a look for this.

Yes, there is a part of the door mirror that flashes rearwards but you can’t see it from the drivers seat, only if you are standing directly behind or towards the outside of the mirror. I presume this would be for the benefit Motorcycles who may be passing.

It took a few goes but managed to get a picture.

PS: I don’t have those BLIS things.

0A5A5D0A-3585-4352-A85D-F6D2FAD1BDE6.jpeg

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Everyone has these😳. Until the OP puts a picture up, I think we will stay in the dark.

EE4645CB-45AA-4B79-B234-170754753891.jpeg

FB85F921-450C-4593-8149-AB0792D444A1.jpeg