V90 or XC40?

The place to discuss everything else..
leveragedbeta1

Post by leveragedbeta1 »

Guys due to production delays on the XC40 I'm thinking of leasing a V90 (that's already in forecourt stock) instead. The fact they can be leased at similar cost is also an incentive.

Anyone come from or test driven the V90?

My brother had one recently and, aside from how thirsty the T4 auto is (I do low milage) does anyone have a strong negative opinion on them?

NitramA

Post by NitramA »

My Son has had a V90 T4 R Design on a 2 year lease.
I’ve only driven it twice but I’ve been a passenger a couple of times.

I’d say the overall quality is a bit better than my XC40 Inscription, it’s certainly better equipped as standard.
Not sure about the driving experience as they were only short drives, but I would say it probably handles better, if only because it’s got a lower centre of gravity, but in normal driving they felt more or less the same.
He’s not complained about the fuel consumption and he’s always said it goes well enough for him.

The main thing for me is that the V90 is sooooooo looooong. UK parking spaces are just not big enough.
I was also surprised as to how little space there is inside considering it’s length. (Not that it’s small).
I wouldn’t even look at it because if it’s size, but he’s happy enough although he does have use of another smaller car for city driving.
You’d need to drive it in your environment to be sure.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I can only offer this. My XC40 had to go in for a warranty repair and I had a V90 as a loan car. It’s massive! It had absolutely everything on it, 360 camera’s, heated steering wheel, head up display etc. It was a pleasure to drive but the auto gearbox didn’t seem to be very well matched to the Diesel engine. As for parking, I really didn’t want to drive it locally in town because as said, it’s sheer length made it difficult. Nice car though.
Last edited by Dermottdog on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
leveragedbeta1

Post by leveragedbeta1 »

Well, I'm trying to change for a stock V90 but the broker wants to charge me £500 for cancelling the XC40 so having second thoughts...

PITA - get told its another 3m delivery delay due to CV but have to pay to a fine to get another Volvo. Argh!
Jazmarti

Post by Jazmarti »

Just changed from a v90 to an xc40, the basic spec on the 90 was much better than the 40 is, but I like the ride and sitting position of 40 better. I had the d4 which returned 57 mpg and at present my d3 AWD is returning 45mpg, all that said I still like the 40.
Onyx black, winter pack,
leveragedbeta1

Post by leveragedbeta1 »

Well guys given the open ended corona delay and another mooch around a volvo dealer poking around the XC40 and V90 I've decided to cancel my order and take the V90 instead.

The dealer has cost matched my XC40 T3 so it's an incredible deal given the £7k rrp price difference.

Ultimately the XC40 is a budget car - base model is £25k and it feels like it. The V90 is a bit granddad but base spec if £39.5k and it just feels several notches higher in terms of build.

Fuel consumption will be a lot higher with the T4 but I only do circa 5-6k miles.