Start/stop + Auto Handbrake Problem

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

Hi everyone, new here.
Had a XC40 Inscription T4 AWD for 2 months now (in UK) ; I've found a few oddities and dislikes but overall a nice car and pretty happy.

However here's one problem I've experienced a few times, and can't seem to find any info.

If I have the auto handbrake engaged, which is a useful feature, and I'm stopped, e.g. at lights or slow traffic, the engine stops, so far so good.
But if the engine restarts after a certain time the car lurches forward, presumably having over ridden the auto handbrake, as it does when you simply pull away.

Obviously disconcerting, and I have to slam on the foot brake. I still use auto handbrake/parking brake now and again but with care.

Must be a fault which I'll report when I get round to it but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks
Charles

Ronnnie

Post by Ronnnie »

Hi
I think I'm right in saying.....if the engine is stopped by the stop/start function; then you must have your foot on the brake pedal, as soon as you lift your foot off the brake pedal the engine will auto-start, if your car is still in gear; the car will lurch forward, the system is designed that way.

hope this makes sense Ronnnie
Deleted User 2501

Post by Deleted User 2501 »

If the stop/start system has stopped the car, and you have the auto handbrake engaged there is no reason the car will start unless your put your foot on the accelerator.

You can tell if the auto handbrake/hold is engaged as the small switch near the handbrake switch will be lit up with a small green LED.

RONNIE - If you have auto handbrake active i.e. the green LED is lit there is no reason to have your foot on the brake during a stop.
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I can assure you that the engine restarts without my foot being on either the accelerator or the brake. It's happened a few times.

My previous Audi Q3 had auto start/stop, and the engine would restart when power demand was high, e.g. headlights, heating, demist etc.

I'm sure the XC40 would restart if the battery load was high.
Deleted User 2501

That's a strange one then. If I have heavy load - heating mostly, the engine stop/start system doesn't make the engine stop until the cabin has heated. I've not had the situation where the engine has restarted mid-stop unless I've pressed the gas.
Is your green light lit as I explained?
Deleted User 2501

One last thought as well as the auto-hold, as shown active by the green light on the button, do you ALSO have the auto-handbrake menu option on as well? This menu option will turn on the handbrake when the engine is turned off. It's a separate setting to the green light button.

It can be found as per the following extract from the manual;

Automatic parking brake activation setting. Choose whether the parking brake is to be activated automatically when the car is switched off.

To change setting:

Tap on Settings in the centre display's top view.

Press My CarParking Brake and Suspension to select or deselect the function Auto Activate Parking Brake.
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

I have noticed the engine restart whilst the auto hold handbrake is on. However the car doesn't lurch forward. The engine starts.. Drive is obviously engaged as there is a little forward momentum but its held by the handbrake. The car itself doesn't move a millimetre. The car will only disengage the handbrake once I touch the accelerator.

In your case it does sound as though there could well be a fault if you have ruled out everything else, such as resting your foot on the accelerator or anything like that.

Good luck with it.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
Seagultaf

Post by Seagultaf »

I have just taken deliver of a 24 spec XC40 B3 Plus and it has exactly the same fault. Stop start works as it should and auto hold handbrake works as it should, but they wont work together! If the auto hold (green light) is on, the auto brake comes on to hold he car but once I take my foot off the brake, the engine restarts.
This defeats the object of the start stop in reducing fuel consumption and pollution emissions during start stop driving in heavy traffic.
Does anyone know if Volvo have a fix for this fault?
XC40 B3 Plus
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Do you by any chance have the sppeed limiter engaged when this happens? If so that's a glitch that's not been fixed at all. I stopped using the speed limiter for that reason, and use cruise control selectively in speed limits...
GeoffT

Post by GeoffT »

I have the same problem as Seagultaf on a 2024 model with all software updated to Jan 24. StopStart is fairly useless. Seems it has been a glitch for years, and Volvo have no solution
XC40 B3 MY24 Mild Hybrid Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Google system, leather upholstery