Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

We've only really noticed it over the last month or so but believe it may have been occurring for longer and we just weren't overly concerned. However, now we are and are a little worried that resonance could lead to something coming loose eventually, especially once warranty has lapsed!!!

We notice the vibration under acceleration from upwards of about 47+mph for a short period and then all returns to normal. Our T3 is fwd and wheels are 18inch. We checked wheel balance and all ok.

The garage did software update - no change.
They also suggested one of the spark plugs was 'dirty' and this should be getting changed in a couple of wks. They 'cleaned' it last wk and expected that to do the job as they don't keep spares in stock - no change. We live 60 mile round trip to nearest dealer so not ideal.

Our car was purchased end of Sept 18, so be interesting to know if batch issue.

Apparently, garage has a few more things to check through that Volvo has suggested also...watch this space......

Snico

Post by Snico »

Hello,

I just registered on the forum because I am experiencing exactly the same issue on a d3 r design automatic bought in 2019. I am in Belgium, where those cars are assembled.
Vibration from 55mph and wrong geometry.
Untill now, 3 visits in 3 months:
- whells balacing twice with their hunter machine (even if I had the issue the original tires and winter wheels / tires that are also coming from Volvo. They said it's ok now, but it wasn't. Absolutely not.
- new cardan shafts. I will tak the car back this morning, they say it's ok now..

I'll let you know later if it was indeed the solution.

Did some of you find the real cause of those problems ?

Thank you.
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

Hi! Car just been in garage. New drive shaft ordered. Car will be back in garage nxt weds!

@Snico, did changing drive shafts resolve issue?
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

@Elvo57 how did you get on with Volvo technical?
Surely they can pull the builds data on all affected cars and see which specific part they have in common compared to a car that doesn't have the fault?
Snico

Post by Snico »

They changed the shafts AND did the Hunter balancing again. Problem solved.
Message was that those cars are very sensitive on the balancing side.
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

@ Snico, thx. Fingers crossed for positive outcome for us nxt weds.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Hi Guys and Gals,
Been away for a while waiting for solutions to my vibration. The car went into its first service, only 5000 miles on the clock, so not a lot of driving done, but under direction from Volvo UK they had also changed the rear diff clutch pack and the hydraulic damper assembly (I think those were the items) and the car feels much improved, if not cured. I have my doubts because I have become so sensitive to the issue, that any road vibration I feel means it is difficult for me to tell them apart.

I will report back again when I have done more mileage without the wind and rain trying to wash me of the M6.

If I'm honest, I have a feeling that the drive train is very sensitive to dynamic forces and 'my' solution may not be the same for every car.

Kipper
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro / Luminous Sand / Blond
Elvo57

Post by Elvo57 »

Hello Everyone,

The only answer Volvo Technical can give is that there is an inherent problem with the 19” alloys, and have asked me to downsize to 18”, which I have of course refused (after changing drive shafts, prop shaft, rear drive unit, tyres, wheels etc etc).

Volvo Customer Relations and now Volvo Executive office are refusing to engage with me because I have asked for a ‘buy back’ as the car is still not fixed after 15 months. Their company line is that they ‘do not support anybody leaving the Volvo brand’.
Hence, they say I must negotiate with the dealership and not them. Obviously, the dealership is not going to give me the full money back after this time (although the car has been faulty from new).

Just to clarify, the Volvo UK tech’s final report stated that the car still had the vibration/resonance, and he recommended that if I did not want to accept 18” alloys, then Volvo UK should buy the car back themselves to continue their investigation. This Volvo UK seems to have totally ignored.

In our further extended conversations, Volvo UK said I could go to 20” alloys, free of charge (so kind of them), which I also declined. Mainly because the Volvo UK tech proved that two other XC40’s on 20” alloys at the dealership had a similar vibration to our car. Also the XC40 loaner we were driving at the time (on 20” wheels), exhibited a resonance too, and the more so as we put a further 1100 miles on it.

As has been stated previously, I think the route problem is the chassis’ sensitivity to the slightest tyre vibration. So, I’m sorry, but anybody thinking they have a fixed car… good luck, as the tyre tread pattern naturally changes under normal wear! Hunters Road Force Balancing is not the answer (are Volvo going to pay for it every three months and every tyre swap, I don’t think so).

The XC40 is now sat on the drive going nowhere. We have purchased a Skoda Citigo as a runner until we get Volvo to take the car back.
For information, the little £6,000 Citigo has ABSOLUTELY NO VIBRATION OR RESONANCE ISSUES when driven on exactly the same roads as the £36,000 XC40.

As you ca see… still ongoing… but please excuse me if I do not regularly contribute... for the sake of my blood pressure !

XC40 | First Edition | D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres | Ordered 14/03/18 | Delivered 11th October 2018 | UK.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Thank You Elvo, all information is useful in trying to sort out this problem. Trying to get a car firm, any car firm, no matter how prestigious the brand, to admit design faults/shortcomings, is, to quote an RAF engineer, trying to get a an admission of heresy from a nun.

I will monitor any vibration with closer attention as I too have the same tyres as you. It's a shame as I really do rate the car, but I fancy their chassis may be a bit too 'advanced'. Never mind, by the time they fix it we will all be back on horse and cart.

Kipper
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro / Luminous Sand / Blond
leveragedbeta

Post by leveragedbeta »

Good luck Elvo57, I think we can all appreciate these Lemon Law situations are nightmarishly frustrating. All manufacturers seem to be equally difficult in admitting culpability.