Volvo On Call - "Engine Not Working Properly"

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
abby606

Post by abby606 »

I've had my car a year and recently got the car serviced but of course this has absolutely nothing to do with that!

The Volvo On Call app has been unable to Remote Start the engine with the following error message:

"Your Volvo could not be started because the engine is not working properly"

When I get into the car, it starts fine. The Remote Start function will work on occasion though, so the error doesn't happen every time. I've never had this before.

Any ideas? Searching the internet didn't result in anything! Engine not working properly isn't very reassuring :D

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Feel like you need to return it to service and explain the issue. Ideally document it by recording your screen a few times and catching the issue.

I've had weird messages on the VOC app such as "Change bulbs", obviously not reassuring while i was at home with a new car, but when getting into all was fine and no error on the car dash got displayed. Next time i started VOC, the message was gone.

Obviously, not as annoying as your issue, but i tend to believe it's the app :)
abby606

Post by abby606 »

ciuncky wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 am Feel like you need to return it to service and explain the issue.
Thanks, will do
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

abby606 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:31 pm
ciuncky wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 am Feel like you need to return it to service and explain the issue.
Thanks, will do
Please let us know the outcome - just in case it happens to anyone else.

I would have crapped myself with an error message like that! :shock:
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

I had exactly this yesterday for the first time - car wouldn't remote start with message as described. Outdoor temp was -2 degrees. I grudgingly got dressed and started it the old fashioned way. An hour or so later I tried the remote start again and this time it worked. Due in for first service next month.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I have had the same message on a couple of occasions whilst trying remote start, but narrowed it down to the fact my car has gone into standby / sleep mode if not driven for a few days.
T5 First edition Crystal White
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

Quick test this morning (no frost) -
Remote start not working
Remote flash not working
Remote unlock - boot only

99% expecting this to be a battery issue, my cars always end up limping along on minimal reserves due to short commute or working from home.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

gmdh555 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:53 pm Quick test this morning (no frost) -
Remote start not working
Remote flash not working
Remote unlock - boot only

99% expecting this to be a battery issue, my cars always end up limping along on minimal reserves due to short commute or working from home.
Have you thought about a push bike?😜
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
abby606

Post by abby606 »

Just a quick update for those reading this in the future - I didn't get round to bringing it to the dealer but the problem has not reoccurred, it lasted maybe 48 hours. I'm wondering if it was due to getting it serviced and some gremlins escaping. Or maybe the battery was a bit low. Or maybe it was just in a huffy mood.

Who knows but it's all working fine now.