Double issue ; loss of power and city safety

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Graad

Post by Graad »

xofer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm manual here, the problem is solved when i lower gears.
anyway the loss of power is momentarly, a couple of seconds, lowering gears may take longer ;)
So far, I have only read about this issue with the T3 model and manual gears, not the D3.
It's so surprising that I don't have time to lower gears.
And when I realize I can, the problem is gone.

Btw, I haven't had the problem for weeks now and I still drive on the same roads.
The maintenance of the car is in two weeks (1 year), I will explain them anyway.
T3 Momentum Aluminium grey + blond interior.
Order date : June 1st 2018.
Delivery Date : February 4th 2019. :D

Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I had a similar issue a couple of days ago, being forced to go up a steep narrow hill with a cold engine - I had to keep the speed down to around 15 mph (blind bends) but the car slowed right down and almost stalled because it wouldn't change to a lower gear. I rammed the accelerator into kick-down for an instant and it did then change down and all was well. I just put it down to the gearbox being sluggish because of the cold, but this thread made me wonder if there's a software problem... Next time I go up this hill I'll put it into dynamic mode to keep the revs up.

It might have helped if Volvo displayed what gear the box is in, like all my previous cars have done (and my 9-speed Mercedes automatic does) - the display area is already there and does show the gear when in manual mode, so why not when in normal drive?
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC