Imminent, likely New Owner

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

24.25 here after 2000 miles, I have a t3 automatic momentum. 85% city trafic with a daily trafic filled route of 9 miles each way. Get 35-39 on longer highway journeys but otherwise 24-25 mpg for city trafic. Hope it improves with time.

Love the car generally and it's really great to drive but was hoping milage was better, but it might come and I don't really drive economical (ac on at all times, phone cabled, and the route has a ton of short acceleration/brake bursts).

morganj

Post by morganj »

Im looking forward to the (for me) very low consumption.

As mentioned in the what are you coming from thread I ordered a T5 Twin Engine to replace my Porsche Cayenne, on my normal daily driving that was returning about 28L/100km what ever that is in MPG I do not know but it basically meant filling a full tank at least once a week for about 400km per tank ☹️
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
gt40

Post by gt40 »

morganj wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 pm Im looking forward to the (for me) very low consumption.

...my Porsche Cayenne, on my normal daily driving that was returning about 28L/100km what ever that is in MPG...
It's 10mpg 😨
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
morganj

Post by morganj »

gt40 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:25 pm
morganj wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 pm Im looking forward to the (for me) very low consumption.

...my Porsche Cayenne, on my normal daily driving that was returning about 28L/100km what ever that is in MPG...
It's 10mpg 😨
Exactly, we calculated the the petrol / insurance / tax costs for the Cayenne (owned) were the same as the leasing + petrol costs for a new T5 Twin Engine, and no time needed to be spent wrenching on an old car in the snow. Win - Win. Down side is i'm now driving a V40 D2 as a long term rental until delivery in May / June
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Deleted User 2478

Post by Deleted User 2478 »

I wanted the engine with better mileage and smaller displacement, but the main issue with T3 is the 3 cylinder architecture, this being a new engine for Volvo. It took more than 4 years for Ford and VW group (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda) to fix all issues with their 3 cylinder engines, so ultimately I decided to trade off the cost savings of T3 (purchase price, mileage, tax) for the proven reliability of T4. This engine (2L petrol turbo) is 5 years old in Volvo’s portfolio, with hundreds of thousands of units sold and huge volume of usage data that allowed for all issues to be fine tuned by now.

T4 is a fantastic engine, smooth and powerful. Yes, it does consume more fuel, but if you look at the WLTP mileage figures T3 is marginally better. If you drive in an environment where you often have to overtake slower cars in traffic, T4 makes a big difference. Otherwise, T3 is powerful enough for normal driving situations and if long term reliability is not your concern, with a 4-5 years full warranty plan T3 should be a good choice.
leveragedbeta1

Post by leveragedbeta1 »

My brother's experience with his V90 T4 put me off the engine, just ridiculously thirsty (26-28mpg), so I've plumped for the T3 in the hope I might see high 30s. The reviews give very variable outputs but mid to late 30s seems ballpark.

Given that I do relatively low mileage (4-6k p.a.) you could argue that it doesn't make much difference but the price differential over the 3y lease term was circa £1500 for the T4 and not worth the additional outlay. The 163bhp update has been reviewed positively and seems to be just about adequate to hold 75mph at moderate NVH.

I was very close to ordering another Skoda Superb Estate but after 3.5 years with a 16 plate - it's definitely the better built than the XC40, much more practical etc but I just fancied a change. The 150bhp 2l diesel was ridiculously economical (60-63mpg on a run) but was a hateful clattery lump of low revving misery hence my preference for a thrummy petrol this time around.

Concerned that it's going to spend half its life in the dealership with various glitches and mechanical issues but I'll give Volvo the benefit of the doubt. Lease deals (particularly on the manual T3 Momentum models) were stupidly cheap - circa £190pm which piqued my interest, but I ended up ordering an auto Inscription T3 with child friendly white leather(!), arriving in a few weeks. Let's see how it goes...