Does anyone regret buying an XC40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I love the interior as well, it is not on the luxury level of XC60, but definitely beyond VW in my opinion (Golf, Passat, etc), and not to talk about reliability and cost of ownership of VW-Audio (i.e. gear)

johnd

Post by johnd »

I was in the market for a car in the XC40 class over the past year and my shortlist came down to XC40 T5, Evoque P300 and Q3 45TFSI, which I really struggled to choose between despite numerous test drives. (I didn't include Toyota/Lexus because of their auto boxes, nor BMW which I just can't take a shine to. And the Mercedes GLA would have been a contender but the old model really is quite old now and due for replacement in 2020.)

I came to the conclusion that the only really premium car on my shortlist was the Evoque - it has features like HUD and a cabin finish that is simply in a superior class to all the others. (Remains to be seen what the new GLA will be like - that might pass muster too.) However, there were things about the Evoque, especially width and weight plus a dash design that I wasn't in love with, so discarded this. Evoque is also the more expensive option, if that matters, but decent discounts available.

So, in the end, for me it was a straight content between Q3 and XC40. And the Q3 won! There were pros and cons on both sides of course, with the XC40 almost certainly being the neater design. But if I had to identify one deciding factor, it would be the central infotainment screen on the XC40, which just looks so old-fashioned to my eyes in its combination of surround and presentation. I think the new Android version which should appear in the XC40 Recharge (the full EV) should be a lot better, but that model is still apparently almost a year away.

IMHO it's almost impossible to make a choice based on perceived build quality and reliability. Almost all modern cars are pretty good in these respects. There will be reports on forums from all models of issues of one sort and another, but which are unlikely to differ decisively across makes. And reliability figures will typically be years out of date and of questionable relevance to the latest models.
portentous divine

Post by portentous divine »

johnd wrote: ↑Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:56 am I was in the market for a car in the XC40 class over the past year and my shortlist came down to XC40 T5, Evoque P300 and Q3 45TFSI, which I really struggled to choose between despite numerous test drives. (I didn't include Toyota/Lexus because of their auto boxes, nor BMW which I just can't take a shine to. And the Mercedes GLA would have been a contender but the old model really is quite old now and due for replacement in 2020.)

I came to the conclusion that the only really premium car on my shortlist was the Evoque - it has features like HUD and a cabin finish that is simply in a superior class to all the others. (Remains to be seen what the new GLA will be like - that might pass muster too.) However, there were things about the Evoque, especially width and weight plus a dash design that I wasn't in love with, so discarded this. Evoque is also the more expensive option, if that matters, but decent discounts available.

So, in the end, for me it was a straight content between Q3 and XC40. And the Q3 won! There were pros and cons on both sides of course, with the XC40 almost certainly being the neater design. But if I had to identify one deciding factor, it would be the central infotainment screen on the XC40, which just looks so old-fashioned to my eyes in its combination of surround and presentation. I think the new Android version which should appear in the XC40 Recharge (the full EV) should be a lot better, but that model is still apparently almost a year away.

IMHO it's almost impossible to make a choice based on perceived build quality and reliability. Almost all modern cars are pretty good in these respects. There will be reports on forums from all models of issues of one sort and another, but which are unlikely to differ decisively across makes. And reliability figures will typically be years out of date and of questionable relevance to the latest models.
For me it was the opposite. I had the Audi Q2, Q3 and XC40 on my list of contenders.

The Q2 was a little small and had the most disturbingly brittle looking central screen. Brittle in the sense that it looked as if a quick push would break it off. It didn't retract into the dash.

The Q3 I thought looked really old fashioned, staid and looked like something my dad might buy - and I'm 60 this year.

The XC40 won it for me for the design inside and out.

The Audi dealership lost the deal for me when they started to explain the my music CDs could be copied and put on a USB stick and played in the car, and perhaps I could get someone younger to do this "copying" for me.

I politely declined further showroom time with him and we walked away. I was ripping CDs before he was born I suspect πŸ˜€
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

portentous divine wrote: ↑Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:45 am
johnd wrote: ↑Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:56 am I was in the market for a car in the XC40 class over the past year and my shortlist came down to XC40 T5, Evoque P300 and Q3 45TFSI, which I really struggled to choose between despite numerous test drives. (I didn't include Toyota/Lexus because of their auto boxes, nor BMW which I just can't take a shine to. And the Mercedes GLA would have been a contender but the old model really is quite old now and due for replacement in 2020.)

For me it was the opposite. I had the Audi Q2, Q3 and XC40 on my list of contenders.

The Q2 was a little small and had the most disturbingly brittle looking central screen. Brittle in the sense that it looked as if a quick push would break it off. It didn't retract into the dash.

The Q3 I thought looked really old fashioned, staid and looked like something my dad might buy - and I'm 60 this year.

The XC40 won it for me for the design inside and out.

The Audi dealership lost the deal for me when they started to explain the my music CDs could be copied and put on a USB stick and played in the car, and perhaps I could get someone younger to do this "copying" for me.

I politely declined further showroom time with him and we walked away. I was ripping CDs before he was born I suspect πŸ˜€

😑😑 - did you not threaten him with your walking sticking until he withdrew those comments?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
johnd

Post by johnd »

portentous divine wrote: ↑Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:45 am The Q2 was a little small and had the most disturbingly brittle looking central screen. Brittle in the sense that it looked as if a quick push would break it off. It didn't retract into the dash.
Yes, I don't take to the iPad stuck on the dash concept either - one of the reasons I got rid of my previous generation Q3 (though the screen was retractable on that).
Agreed, Staid would be one of the words I'd have chosen too and an understandable reason for avoiding the standard Q3. I should have said that my new Q3 is actually the Sportback variant - it's essentially a Q3 underneath but the styling aft of the A pillar makes it look really quite different.
:)
portentous divine

Post by portentous divine »

It was one of those times when I wished I'd said something clever. He also said to my wife that the car (Q2) looked very sexy and he hoped it wasn't an insensitive thing to say to a woman.

We thought we'd dropped into an episode of the Fast Show with Swiss TonyπŸ˜€.

No walking stick here, yet!
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Hi Dermottdog,

As you're probably aware a Decision Matrix only deals in factual data, whereas the wife inputs the emotional elements to any decision making process and after 52 years of wedded bliss I have to accept and admit that her views are always valid, another reason for going with the XC40.

Only time will tell if OUR decision is valid.

Looking forward to to the New Year and the enjoyment of driving our XC40.

PS it looks like we're both a "bit tecky" !!!!!!!!

Cheers
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

When I was looking for a replacement to our BMW 3 Series I looked at a few possibilities. I was initially looking at a BMW X1 or X2 and test drove both. They were perfectly acceptable. I wasn't even aware of the Volvo until I read some online group test reports but when I test drove the XC40 I thought it was a big improvement in comfort and a much quieter drive.

I was late to the party and was impressed by the first edition version, sadly they were all sold out at the time. I managed to find one, but there was a big delay on delivery and then I got hold of a used version with only 800 miles on the clock.

No major issues with the car in the last year of ownership, the rear camera screws broke (quickly replaced) and I'm still having a few issues with the wipers. I love the interior, smart without being 'blingy', everyone I give a lift to remarks about how nice the car is. I love the automatic cruise control and driver assist, we drove to Germany last winter and I hardly touched the controls! No issues with our sunroof (I wasn't even aware of their being any)

Overall very happy and I'm amazed at the number of people who come and ask me about the car, something I've never had before.

As others have said people tend to come on the forums to complain rather than praise which can tilt the perspective. Also some people seem to have incredibly high expectations, it's a mid priced SUV, not a luxury brand.

But then I ride an expensive, and sometimes temperamental, Italian motorbike, so perhaps my expectations are lower!
First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...
TimHewett

Post by TimHewett »

I have had my XC40 Inscription Pro T4 since March 2019 and stupidly should have rejected it when being showed how all the gizmos work as upon start up I noticed the engine was vibrating a lot and sounded rough. Desperate to drive my new XC40 away didn't think any more of it it. Until the next morning and when starting up and pulling away the engine miss fires and stutters for about 30 seconds. Really dangerous if pulling across a busy road as I nearly found out to my cost! Volvo customer care were not helpful at all, neither was the dealer! Been fobbed off with 'Volvo are working on a fix'! 9 months later and car booked in for first service but no fix in sight. Volvo want the car for 3 days so a full technical report can be submitted to Volvo UK. So watch this space. I have had no other issues with the car, it is comfortable and no issues with the panoramic roof. Fuel consumption would be my next gripe as I get mid 20's around town and about 36 on a run. Due to the lack of action and communication by Volvo I wont be buying another one!
Blue

Post by Blue »

Thanks for the additional comments folks, much appreciated.