T3 or T4

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
gamation

Post by gamation »

Hi everyone! My name is Pedro and i'm from Portugal. Let me start by saying this is a great info repository for this amazing car. I've read and learnt a lot these last few days on this forum.

I've been thinking about changing my old citroen c4 diesel 110hp after 12 years of not having a single issue with it! I usually do 8/9000 km per year so the logical thing to do is change to a petrol car. I spec'd a T3 RD 163hp auto with almost all bells and whistles which, in my country costs a mind blowing 52k euro - for a 3 cilinder engine..

So my question is: do you think i should remove some of this packs / options and upgrade to a T4 engine only to have a more.. refined engine but less spec'd? I usually own my cars for many years. My Citroen has 110000 km and looks as good as new - garage car.

Waht are your thoughts on the the 3 cilinder 163hp engine?

Thanks!
PG

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I have the manual T3 and absolutely love it. Quiet, refined, smooth running and very economical. It has enough power when you need it as well but I bought it for the comfort. I also have most of the bells and whistles but the essentials for me would be the 360 degree camera and android auto.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
gamation

Post by gamation »

Skyrimmer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:11 pm I have the manual T3 and absolutely love it. Quiet, refined, smooth running and very economical. It has enough power when you need it as well but I bought it for the comfort. I also have most of the bells and whistles but the essentials for me would be the 360 degree camera and android auto.
Hello! Thank you very much for your input. I usually go to confort as well - hence my citroen! I do very small commutes daily (4 / 5 km) in city traffic. I think my main concern is some vibrations on lower revs or even in neutral - not so much about accelaration or top speed.

It's indeed a beautifull car - i tested the T4 ( it was the only one the dealer had available for a test drive) and loved the car. That might have been the problem here :)

Thanks!
PG
MoosePT

Post by MoosePT »

Olá Pedro!

Just wondering if you have considered the T5 Twin Engine? With low mileage I guess it would be a great choice... plus if you have garage you could charge it and have low consumption figures :)

Abraço,
João
Inscription T5 TwEn in Onyx Black - Business Pro Pack, Park Assist Pack, Fog Lights - Order placed: September 2019 // Delivery Date: April 3rd 2020
OneOff

Post by OneOff »

For exactly the reason you state I went for the T4 with no additional extras. I prefer the mechanics to be the best I can afford, so I went for T4 with AWD without any extras or packs.

The car does come with some standard gadgetry such as lane guidance but I've switched it off as I felt it too intrusive.

I much prefer the basics rather than superficial extras.
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

I went for the T4 and love the engine. However I have only read good things about the T3. The T4 is thirstier than I was expecting. If you're going to be doing nearly all short journeys in a town environment then reviews have made me think that a T3 would be the best choice for you.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
gamation

Post by gamation »

MoosePT wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:39 pm Olá Pedro!

Just wondering if you have considered the T5 Twin Engine? With low mileage I guess it would be a great choice... plus if you have garage you could charge it and have low consumption figures :)

Abraço,
João
Olá viva João!

I've indeed considered the new T5 twin engine for my small daily commutes. But there are a few reasons why i still choose ICE instead of EV/Hybrid nowadays. The first and most important one.. Charging points! I don't have a dedicated place to charge the car at my house due to my home garage being a shared one. I could charge it at work though but with more and more people buying EVs and very few charging points.. they are busy all the time. And it tends to get worse as time goes by - everybody wants a Hybrid/EV. Also, at the present time, I do not believe that our small country has the infraestructure required to fulfill the growing demands to charge EVs. The issue is that the 40 ou 50 km of autonomy that the car delivers will quickly be depleted and we are left with a much heavier car to move due to the weight of the batteries. Probably in 5 to 10 years, as the tech evolves, this will be very much improved.. (smaller batteries with much larger autonomy and larger infraestructure throughout our country) but.. we're not quite there yet. (this is just my point of view). Another reason is.. in a few years from now (not a lot) these hybrid/ev cars will be much much better. So.. no one will want to buy a car with such low EV range. I think it's going to be harder to sell. (again.. this is only my opinion).

I do love the tech.. but at the moment.. still ICE for me!

Muito obrigado pela tua opinião João! Espero que tenhas muita sorte com a tua nova máquina - o carro deve ser brutal e todo hi-tech!

Thanks
PG
Last edited by gamation on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamation

Post by gamation »

OneOff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:16 pm For exactly the reason you state I went for the T4 with no additional extras. I prefer the mechanics to be the best I can afford, so I went for T4 with AWD without any extras or packs.

The car does come with some standard gadgetry such as lane guidance but I've switched it off as I felt it too intrusive.

I much prefer the basics rather than superficial extras.
I totally understand that.. It think I would be happy both ways :) such a nice problem to have :)

Thanks
PG
gamation

Post by gamation »

Paulinyork wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:28 pm I went for the T4 and love the engine. However I have only read good things about the T3. The T4 is thirstier than I was expecting. If you're going to be doing nearly all short journeys in a town environment then reviews have made me think that a T3 would be the best choice for you.
Yes.. that's also my view on the matter. I'll test drive the T3 (hopefully with the new 2020 engine and auto) and make a decision!

Thanks!
PG
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Pedro,

I have the T4 but in my humble opinion, and understanding your reasons, I would suggest you go with the T3 with all the goodies. It'll be a lovely car to sit in every day.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19