Satnav & Speed Limits

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
billdun

Post by billdun »

Displays the NSL sign for around 10 seconds after passing the sign then changes to the appropriate numerical value for limit. Seems logical to me.
XC40 First Edition D4, Bright Silver

scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

billdun wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:02 pm Displays the NSL sign for around 10 seconds after passing the sign then changes to the appropriate numerical value for limit. Seems logical to me.
Could you tell me what version of the maps you have installed please billdun? It would help in our investigation. Any other version numbers you can glean may also be helpful as clearly something is amiss on my car.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

It picks up the 20mph signs outside schools but does not go back to 30mph after the school, because there is usually no sign to indicate 20 changing back to 30mph not a problem unless you have a call or the radio on when the speed limit warning keeps cutting in and out until, you reach the end of the 30 mph limit. Still a fantastic system despite a few hiccups.
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.
billdun

Post by billdun »

Could you tell me what version of the maps you have installed please billdun? It would help in our investigation. Any other version numbers you can glean may also be helpful as clearly something is amiss on my car.
Latest version ?1230. System has always worked this way through three map updates. Is the car recognising road signs at all? Can’t remember if there is a menu option to toggle this function.
XC40 First Edition D4, Bright Silver
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

Totally agree I have a XC60 and I’d does exactly the same. I thought that the car totally uses the camera to sort out the speed limits, but that’s not the case. The map data seems to be able to override it. One road I use quite a lot goes from 40 to the national speed limit and the road sign display shows the national speed limit sign but ignores it and stays at 40 on the speed limiter. The road where I live is a culdesac and is a 20 limit , coming in from one direction the car sees the 20 sign and changes on the limiter, from the other direction the sign is obscured so the car stays at 30 until about half way down the road, where there are no signs and suddenly changes to 20 , so obviously getting the data from the map. I find it very confusing.
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Latest version, 1233 still has the same issue. I've logged a full report with Volvo UK and they've responded with the following:
Thank you for your email, we are very sorry to hear this.

I would like to assure you that copy of your email has been passed to our Product Follow Up Department (PFU) for this matter to be looked into further.

We trust that our PFU Department will take the time to review the map data we have available and correct any errors that persist.

We thank you again for making us aware.

Kind Regards

Connie Wheeler

Customer Relations Consultant
VOLVO CAR UK LIMITED
If I get any further responses about this I'll forward them on but otherwise it seems to be affecting all new cars coming through at the moment according to my dealer.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Well we're now several updates later - version 1253 as I write this and yet we STILL have the same issue and it's getting worse with each update.

What was already an annoying problem in the first place is just downright infuriating now and it's even 'bonging' to tell me about 'new' speed limits on roads that I use every day that never even existed in the first place e.g. 20mph on what is clearly marked a 30mph road. Whatever speed limit signs the camera is picking up are clearly ignored if the mapping data has speed limit information for that road, regardless of whether it's correct or not.

I honestly don't know where Volvo are getting their data from but on any other device bar none they are all correct where speed limits are concerned except Volvo's and it's driving me INSANE!!

I've logged another detailed report with Volvo today but expect it will fall on deaf ears again.
grime

Post by grime »

Regarding XC40 speed sign recognition

I have reported to Volvo dealers service department that our XC40 MY 2019 seems to have difficulty 'reading' some speed limit signs. I have noted that the vehicle regularly confuses the numbers 30, 60 and 80! For example a 60 speed limit sign is sometimes displayed as 30 and an 80 speed limit sign is sometimes displayed as 60. So far I haven't noticed other combinations, seems that it has been a lower speed indicated rather than a higher speed indicated in error.

I am in Australia where we don't normally have 30 limits however 60 and 80 limits are very common. Generally these roadside signs are used where we have a fixed speed limit. The signs have painted numerals in keeping with international standard signs (which I have seen in other countries).

We also sometimes have variable speed limit signs which are illuminated signs and generally positioned on overhead gantries or something similar. These signs use a standard pattern of illuminated red spots to display a particular numeral (again most likely based on an international standard). Recently I drove the entire length of a major road (several Kilometres) at a time when the speed limit had been reduced from 100 to 80 - at that time our vehicle indicated 60 and continued to do so as we passed under each of the illuminated signs! (for those that are interested we were approaching Melbourne on the Westgate Freeway where major tunnel works are being undertaken).

Just how many vehicles are experiencing this problem? Our vehicle has been on the road since early December, 2018 and this is an annoying defect with the vehicle and, quite frankly, a disappointing oversight by Volvo. This recognition system will have to work properly and reliably in the 'driver less' Volvos of the near future!

Perhaps this and other reports I have read might prompt Volvo management to have a look at the forward looking camera specification and review the appropriate software modules AND DEVELOP A SOLUTION!
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

have no problems with this.
Yes sometimes it gets it wrong (rarely) for some reason, but all said and done, it is the driver's responsibility to read and know the speed limits on any road they are driving.
The manufacturer's disclaimer makes this clear (and rightly so !)
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Have to say I agree. Mine seems to work fine 99% of time. The only time it doesn't is end of 20 mph as referred to above. I've never had any of the other problems reported here. Very impressed that it picks up temporary limits - is this through maps? I wonder if its a certain location with a map problem as mine seems fine and I've been over most of UK including all mainland countries.