Android OS - upgrade MY2019+?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
thrillhouse

Post by thrillhouse »

I've tried via Twitter but to no avail, has anybody seen/heard whether existing models will be able to be upgraded to the new OS upon release?

johnd

Post by johnd »

What I've heard rumoured (but it's not official, so could be wrong) is that no upgrades will be possible because the Android OS also requires a significant hardware change/upgrade, which is not being fitted to current XC40 production. Disappointing but it does sound credible - at one level the change will just be software/firmware but a completely different OS might well need a different hardware specification/architecture.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

So it is not replaceable that piece of HW?
I believe that just motherboard if required - another processor/memory/disk
johnd

Post by johnd »

michael123 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:31 pm So it is not replaceable that piece of HW?
I believe that just motherboard if required - another processor/memory/disk
Well, potentially any piece of a car is replaceable of course - it's just a question of the time, effort and cost of doing so. I think the implication was that no upgrade is possible by means of new software alone. What's involved in doing any necessary hardware upgrade (and maybe recoding other parts of the car) is anyone's guess at present, maybe outside of Volvo. But I suppose we wouldn't be surprised if the total cost was eg £2-3K, and possibly more?