Paddle shift by mistake?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

We just went out in the car for the first time since we picked it up last Sunday. Set up various things for my wife. All good until she pulled away from a roundabout. The car just stayed in 1st gear and didn’t change up. It did it again after she pulled out of the petrol garage. The gear display showed D1. It would appear that she had been getting hold of the paddle by accident and turning the auto to manual mode. I thought in manual mode, a big M appeared in the display. The M wasn’t present. Strange?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey again

Just read up on it. M only appears if you change gear from the gear stick. It is certain that that she had pressed the paddle by accident.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

If you pull the paddle by accident, it will go in to D1 ( or D2 etc.) for a few seconds before it reverts to D again.

If your revs get too high, even in D1, it will still change up a gear.

If you use the shift to change to M mode, it will stay in M mode but still will change up or down on its own if your revs get too high or low.

Hope this helps...👍
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ian333 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:22 pm If you pull the paddle by accident, it will go in to D1 ( or D2 etc.) for a few seconds before it reverts to D again.

If your revs get too high, even in D1, it will still change up a gear.

If you use the shift to change to M mode, it will stay in M mode but still will change up or down on its own if your revs get too high or low.

Hope this helps...👍
Yes thanks. Very steep learning curve but loving it so far👍
scnps

Post by scnps »

Jumping on this, though slightly different question but same area.
I don't have the paddles on the steering wheel but Auto does go to Manual on the gear knob. So presume shifting is then left/right as the manual states.
I don't plan to use this but if a situation presents itself where going to manual might be better, can this be done 'hot' whilst car is going or do you need to be stationary and braked to go from D to M.
XC40 Inscription (MY20) T4 FWD 2.0l petrol automatic - Denim Blue - Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I haven't tried it yet, as I have the paddles, but yes, you can go into manual whilst on the move. Pulling back on the lever will alternate between Drive and Manual.

The only time I used manual with an auto (VW DSG) to any extent was when towing a trailer with a motorcycle in it in a hilly area where it worked well. Also for overtaking when I didn't want to use the kickdown as it can be a bit abrupt.

Trouble with the XC is that it's got 8 gears! Must give it a go though just to get used to it.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I had the pulling away in manual happen to me yesterday which took me by surprise. I only realised when I heard the engine revving more than usual and wondering why it wasn't changing up and then saw in the display that it was in manual mode.

I definitely hadn't used the paddles and can only think that I must have touched the lever again after pulling forwards when leaving a parking space on the road.

My wife isn't interested in using manual mode, including the paddles, but I explained what had happened and how to go into Drive in case it happened to her.

I shall be extra vigilant now to check the display when pulling away.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

ChrisLF wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:08 pm I had the pulling away in manual happen to me yesterday which took me by surprise. I only realised when I heard the engine revving more than usual and wondering why it wasn't changing up and then saw in the display that it was in manual mode.

I definitely hadn't used the paddles and can only think that I must have touched the lever again after pulling forwards when leaving a parking space on the road.

My wife isn't interested in using manual mode, including the paddles, but I explained what had happened and how to go into Drive in case it happened to her.

I shall be extra vigilant now to check the display when pulling away.
I think there should be some sort of delay before manual mode is selected, pulling on the right hand paddle for 2 or 3 seconds for example. My wife did it as she pulled away from a roundabout.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I didn't touch the paddles, must have activated manual by pulling back on the lever.

Kev

Post by Kev »

Are there any aftermarket paddles? The xc40’s feel cheap.