oil level after service

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Had first service today (D4 engine). After collecting car noticed that oil level looked quite low (about 1/5 up the scale from min). Took the car back to dealer who checked it out and said it was new Volvo policy to only fill diesels to this level to avoid dpf problems. Anyone heard of this or is the dealer just cutting cost by scrimping on oil (I have a 5y service plan so don't pay for the service)?
D4 R-design in black.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Perhaps get a 2nd opinion. Also, I don’t think they’re scrimping oil. If an engine fails due to oil starvation, it’s gonna cost them a great deal more than half a litre of oil.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Mine was in for a service today too. Oil level is full to the brim! I just hope I don’t get the occasional overfilled message I got before. Serviced at Marshall Volvo in Leeds.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Gre

Post by Gre »

They are right. I had my 1st service back in February at the dealer where I got the car (a bit far and inconvenient for me) but it was a free one. After oil change had a message saying oil is over filled. Went back again and they couldn’t find the problem. They emptied the oil again and put it back at the level as per Volvo’s recommendations and this didn’t solve the problem. Took the car to another dealer close to where I live and I was advised that Volvo issued a new recommendation regarding the amount of oil level for the Diesel engine. They took out 1 lts of oil and now oil level is good just shy a bit from full. The reason why level of oil message appeared was because they did the software update and kept the initial oil level recommendation.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Dermottdog wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 pm Perhaps get a 2nd opinion. Also, I don’t think they’re scrimping oil. If an engine fails due to oil starvation, it’s gonna cost them a great deal more than half a litre of oil.
And I know what they would say, you should have topped the oil up Sir. My D3 arrived with a full oil reading, and I expect a full oil reading after a service. I think there have been problems with the oil level sensor, because sometimes mine says full, but more often overfull.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

xbimmer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 pm Had first service today (D4 engine). After collecting car noticed that oil level looked quite low (about 1/5 up the scale from min). Took the car back to dealer who checked it out and said it was new Volvo policy to only fill diesels to this level to avoid dpf problems. Anyone heard of this or is the dealer just cutting cost by scrimping on oil (I have a 5y service plan so don't pay for the service)?
But you have paid for the service!
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Yes I have paid for the service but the cost to me is the same whether they use 2 or 10 litres of oil!
Anyway I sought opinion from Honest John in the telegraph. He agrees with the dealer and replied:
"The reason is that diesel is post-injected into the engine to fire off active regeneration of the DPF. If the engine is switched off during this process, some of the post-injected diesel sinks into the sump, raising the oil level. Had the engine been full of oil, that could eventually raise the level to a point where a compression ignition engine starts to run on its sump oil."
D4 R-design in black.
Rigel

Post by Rigel »

I had a recall on my 2008 S80 D5 a few years back . It was managed vis a recall at the next service, when a instruction sticker was applied to the new reduce refill level. No subsequent problems at 200,000miles.
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Drove car for first time since service. After 70 miles low oil warning light came on telling me to add 1 litre of oil. Rang main dealer who said to add 1/2 litre only and they will reimburse cost and car was safe to drive a few miles. Had difficulty finding correct oil (in Wrexham) and had to use Halfords own brand OW-20 oil. Drove another 200 miles, all now OK and oil level now showing up to 3/4 full.
D4 R-design in black.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Took my XC40 D3 car in today for its first service and explained about the 'oil overfilled' message I get repeatedly. Was told by the mechanic, my apologies, 'Technician' that Volvo are aware of the problem, and they do a software update and fill up with 4.7L of oil, as opposed to 5.2L. Will advise on the gauge level when I collect the car.