HiFi - users experiences

The place to discuss everything else..
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi people

Am I right in saying that there isn’t a CD player in the XC40?

If that’s the case, how do people get on with the various music functions?
I, although 58 years old, accept and embrace technology. My wife however, doesn’t. She only has 5 songs on her phone so I guess she’ll get a bit bored with the same tunes.
She has a steep learning curve to overcome as our T5, when it arrives, will be our one and only car which we plan to keep for some years ahead.

So, a questions then. Is the whole music experience based on plugging your phone in via USB or can music be streamed?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

johnd

Post by johnd »

My 2d: Some adjustment is unavoidable, but it's really not a major hurdle. Others will almost certainly have their own opinion, but I would say to look at two options:

SD cards: If you have a laptop with an SD card reader and a music library already (eg your own CDs ripped to MP3) then transfer them to an SD card.

Get a Spotify account (other music services are available eg Amazon Prime or iTunes, but personally I prefer Spotify) and preferably a premium account (£10/month). this will give you legal access to virtually every track you can think of, with a very few exceptions. You can either stream the tracks or download them to your phone without extra cost. It's simpler I think to go the download route. Yes you really need to connect the phone to the car, but I tend to find that it's only on longer journeys that I need my own music and spending 30 seconds on the cable connection is really trivial.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

In the Yeti the infotainment unit would take SD cards with my music on ripped from CDs which sounded great.

I copied to a USB drive to try in the XC40 but as it sticks out and can get knocked I've bought a SanDisk mini hard-drive which has a rubber case and is a similar size to an old mobile phone (non-Smartphone) and so will fit nicely under the USB. Bit expensive at £73 but holds 250GB and I can use it for other things like transferring photos to my tablet.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

johnd wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm My 2d: Some adjustment is unavoidable, but it's really not a major hurdle. Others will almost certainly have their own opinion, but I would say to look at two options:

SD cards: If you have a laptop with an SD card reader and a music library already (eg your own CDs ripped to MP3) then transfer them to an SD card.

Get a Spotify account (other music services are available eg Amazon Prime or iTunes, but personally I prefer Spotify) and preferably a premium account (£10/month). this will give you legal access to virtually every track you can think of, with a very few exceptions. You can either stream the tracks or download them to your phone without extra cost. It's simpler I think to go the download route. Yes you really need to connect the phone to the car, but I tend to find that it's only on longer journeys that I need my own music and spending 30 seconds on the cable connection is really trivial.
There is no SD card slot in my XC40 which has the Harmon Kardon system, music can be played back from a USB stick however. I think that’s the case for the standard sound system too?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Yes, it’s the same with the standard. I do think it’s worth paying the extra for smartphone integration. My mum’s a real technophobe, but since introducing her to CarPlay, she’s never looked back.

As Chris says, if you don’t want to go the streaming route, I use Apple Music for what it’s worth, and it’s great, then I’d go HD route which can stay permanently in the car. They’re not expensive on amazon now.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:05 am
johnd wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm My 2d: Some adjustment is unavoidable, but it's really not a major hurdle. Others will almost certainly have their own opinion, but I would say to look at two options:

There is no SD card slot in my XC40 which has the Harmon Kardon system, music can be played back from a USB stick however. I think that’s the case for the standard sound system too?
You can buy something like this -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283357 ... 215.pic_13

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I use this which is even smaller.
SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 MB/s
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:05 am There is no SD card slot in my XC40 which has the Harmon Kardon system,
Really, how bizarre! I thought that all modern cars had an SD card reader fitted - it's such a cheap item. But as others have mentioned copying to USB instead is directly equivalent, just less convenient.

Apologies for the bad information.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

johnd wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:04 am
Rifleman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:05 am There is no SD card slot in my XC40 which has the Harmon Kardon system,
Really, how bizarre! I thought that all modern cars had an SD card reader fitted - it's such a cheap item. But as others have mentioned copying to USB instead is directly equivalent, just less convenient.

Apologies for the bad information.
You don't need even to copy - just put your SD card into USB card reader and you're set
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Thanks for all your replies👍
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.