New car pick up experiences

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi people

My new car delivery is some 14 weeks or more away.
I’m obviously excited but also apprehensive.
In the past, I’ve ordered 3 new Golfs, all with issues.

Golf No 1 had a chip of paint missing on the edge of the bonnet as you look out from inside. It was back to bare metal and the glove box damping didn’t work. Being a heavy glove box. It really gave the knee a whack when the button was pushed.

Golf No2 had scratches all over it. The dealer offered to re-spray the bonnet, roof, the tops of all 4 doors and the top half of the boot. This was on a car I hadn’t even driven. I rejected it. A new car was sought and on we go.

Golf No3 had another paint defect. Whilst attaching mudflats, I noticed a defect the size and shape of the sole plate of an iron. It was underneath the clear top coat. The dealer re-spayed the front passenger door. I have to say, the match was perfect.

I’m just hoping that I have a better experience from Volvo. There is a perception that Volvo is a premium brand. I held the same view about VW too!!
Last edited by Dermottdog on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

You must have been unlucky there! I've had 2 new Passats, an A6, a TT and a Yeti and no problems on delivery and very little during ownership. Only picked up the XC40 yesterday but nothing so far apart from a creak in the dashboard area which is getting less and less the more I use it.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:51 pm Hi people

My new car delivery is some 14 weeks or more away.
I’m obviously excited but also apprehensive.
In the past, I’ve ordered 3 new Golfs, all with issues.

Golf No 1 had a chip of paint missing on the edge of the bonnet as you look out from inside. It was back to bare metal and the glove box damping didn’t work. Being a heavy glove box. It really gave the knee a whack when the button was pushed.

Golf No2 had scratches all over it. The dealer offered to re-spray the bonnet, roof, the tops of all 4 doors and the top half of the boot. This was on a car I hadn’t even driven. I rejected it. A new car was sought and on we go.

Golf No3 had another paint defect. Whilst attaching mudflats, I noticed a defect the size and shape of the sole plate of an iron. It was underneath the clear top coat. The dealer re-spayed the front passenger door. I have to say, the match was perfect.

I’m just hoping that I have a better experience from Volvo. There is a perception that Volvo is a premium brand. I held the same view about VW to!!
My D3R was fine, and this replaced a brand new C class Merc that when I got it home found a dent on the roof!
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I have had no built quality issues with my XC40. Only been back for the courtesy 3m check. This is my first Volvo.

Never bought a VW (skoda/audi/Seat) so can't comment on VAG quality.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

We had the unveiling treatment from the dealer and before it was driven outside I had a good look around the outside and at the wheels and didn't find a thing wrong.

The first wash is the test though as you are going over the car closely.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
FGC5074

Post by FGC5074 »

I am a newbie here, having just picked up my T3 Inspiration auto. I have seen a number of references on XC40forums to a "3 month check" which i had come to understand was the norm. However when I mentioned this to my dealer (the one well known to and hated by kirsty_s2k) they said there was no such thing - just the first service at 12 months.

What is the norm what other dealers?
aj05

Post by aj05 »

The dealer I purchased my car from sent me a letter from the service department (about 2 weeks after collection) advising that a 3 month service should be booked free of charge at the appropriate time. As the dealer is over a hundred miles away I visited a local dealers service department who took details of the car and it is now booked in on their computer for a 3 month check up in September with out any problems . They also took note of the service plan that I have in place and this is also in place on their computer. I would suggest that the dealer you are using is not up to the expected standard and I would look else where, if they are not aware of a 3 month check it makes me wonder what the service supplied by the workshop would be like.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

My dealer mentioned it at handover and followed it up with an email shortly after and said would send a reminder just before it is due.