XC40 Revision

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnd

Post by johnd »

ChrisLF wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 pm Unbelievable not having electric seats option!
The odd thing is that Cupra Ateca DOES have electric seats in some EU countries, but Seat UK have seemingly decided against offering that option. Not sure why - suspect that they may have been trying to hit a maximum price point (£40K for tax reasons???), though a fully loaded CA does (slightly) exceed £40K. But still seems odd not to offer it as an option, though I suppose it could happen in the future.

Two other thoughts: First, while the Ateca's infotainment system is a few years old now and could do with a better processor, slightly larger screen etc, there's no doubt to my mind that it has a better mix of touchscreen and mechanical controls. I'm not anti-touchscreen but there are some controls that are just ergonomically better done with a mechanical control, like selecting drive mode.

Second, I've come to the conclusion that most manufacturers just don't see a market slot for a smaller but premium 4WD SUV with strong performance, at least not one that could make a £40K price-point. In other words, if it's relatively small then no-one is going to pay significantly over £40K. So anything that could be described as a compact performance SUV is automatically a non-premium model with significant economies made in its fixtures & fittings. The only exception to that right now is the new Evoque P300, though an (R)SQ3 could be a challenger too if one ever appears.

Part of the story may also be that many manufacturers are on the cusp of launching their EVs in this sector, which if they're endowed with twin motors and a decent battery will probably have a strong performance. IOW now is not the right time to be looking for this class of car. In a year's time the XC40 EV T99 with the new Sensus could be a much more inviting proposition. But I just can't wait that long!

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, it's the same with Skoda. Some folks, including myself, have been very frustrated with the specs that Skoda UK restrict potential customers to e.g. certain engines with/without 4x4 not being available when they are elsewhere in Europe. That is one of the reasons why I have gone elsewhere after owning quite a number of VWs, Audis and one Skoda which has been great.

I agree with your views on smaller/premium/performance SUVs as I guess that the manufacturers can more easily justify their high prices on larger SUVs and I suppose assume that the SUV would be for family duties and longer trips/touring and that another car would be owned for more enthusiastic driving. Not many owners of premium SUVs would accept insufficient space. Also agree with what you say about touchscreen and controls. Seems that in the XC40 etc. that the designers were determined to use the touchscreen for almost everything at the expense of producing a better design incorporating some mechanical controls.

I had an Audi A6 Avant Black Edition (lovely car) and could never really understand the RS6. Fantastic car but just too big to hustle down smaller roads, great on the autobahns etc. though. At least you can have the RS4 and now the RS3 which are better suited to our roads.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

ChrisLF wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 pm Yes, it's the same with Skoda. Some folks, including myself, have been very frustrated with the specs that Skoda UK restrict potential customers to e.g. certain engines with/without 4x4 not being available when they are elsewhere in Europe. That is one of the reasons why I have gone elsewhere after owning quite a number of VWs, Audis and one Skoda which has been great.

I agree with your views on smaller/premium/performance SUVs as I guess that the manufacturers can more easily justify their high prices on larger SUVs and I suppose assume that the SUV would be for family duties and longer trips/touring and that another car would be owned for more enthusiastic driving. Not many owners of premium SUVs would accept insufficient space. Also agree with what you say about touchscreen and controls. Seems that in the XC40 etc. that the designers were determined to use the touchscreen for almost everything at the expense of producing a better overall and user friendly design incorporating some mechanical controls.

I had an Audi A6 Avant Black Edition (lovely car) and could never really understand the RS6. Fantastic car but just too big to hustle down smaller roads, great on the autobahns etc. though. At least you can have the RS4 and now the RS3 which are better suited to our roads.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.