Pre-Conditioning & the mystery of the Parking Heater

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

The whole point of having a separate parking heater is that you could start it with a timer, but not need to have the engine start up for all the stated unattended safety, legal reasons etc.

You can of course use Remote Start from I presume anywhere in the world and have your vehicle chugging away unattended but only for the max of 15 mins.

I was planning to examine what happened this morning on a Remote Start by checking all the heating settings once it got going, but for some reason it didn’t start this morning! I will next check all the conditions as probably something was not set right - I suspect I may have been too low on fuel.

My gut feel on balance, given the App as you say isn’t tailored exactly to an XC40 and the central console is misleading, is that for the UK at least Volvo just decided to omit the Parking Heater feature as part of their cost control (downsizing from higher spec models) but have omitted to make the distinction clear between Parking Heater pre-conditioning and the use of Remote Start to achieve something like the same effect.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Boomer wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am
I think the other one area which will run and run is phone/media/internet and general connectivity as everyone starts to work out what works (and doesn't) for their own circumstances.
Yup. This is very complex. I have tried all the options - Wifi, Bluetooth, Tethering, and the car’s modem with SIM card (A 24Gb 24 month “3” card as advised by others).

They all work, but figuring out what function is using which connection at any time, and then calculating consumption will I think be pretty much impossible. Just use what works for you and find out what the cost is later!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
wakey

Post by wakey »

Email back from dealer pasted below (I’m not confident this is right 😂)

The Pre-heater will work if the battery level is high enough, otherwise it will run the engine.

That is the data from volvo.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Black (inside and out) XC40 First Edition D4, 20” Wheels and a dog grille :D Collection Saturday 7th April (ordered 6th January).
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Can’t see the paste!
wakey

Post by wakey »

pjm007 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:25 pm Can’t see the paste!
Can u see this screenshot?

C88236F5-21AF-4897-947B-0FD8460E2341.jpeg

Black (inside and out) XC40 First Edition D4, 20” Wheels and a dog grille :D Collection Saturday 7th April (ordered 6th January).
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

wakey wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm
Yes can see it now.

Sorry but I don’t believe that dealer interpretation. I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my brand new battery, but the key issue is that to do what he/she suggests needs a Parking Heater and there are none fitted to XC40s.
wakey

Post by wakey »

pjm007 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:48 pm
wakey wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm
Yes can see it now.

Sorry but I don’t believe that dealer interpretation. I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my brand new battery, but the key issue is that to do what he/she suggests needs a Parking Heater and there are none fitted to XC40s.
That’s what I thought, it seems the dealer isn’t understanding it 🙄 Either way I’m keeping my order but it should have been made more clear
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Have you thought about emailing Customer Relations to confirm what the story is? They seemed fairly clued up when I contacted them.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

This was a huge selling point for me. I do hope I can pre-heat the cabin in the winter. Genuinely one of the reasons I ordered.
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

rhaleuk wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 pm This was a huge selling point for me. I do hope I can pre-heat the cabin in the winter. Genuinely one of the reasons I ordered.
It seems that as long as you are happy to (Remote) start up the car to get the engine running, you can.